Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums

Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums (http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Announcements & Support (http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What Changes or New Features Would You Like to See on this Site? (http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1741)

sydude 09-25-2006 09:58 AM

What Changes or New Features Would You Like to See on this Site?

Please give us your thoughts and suggestions on anything that would make this site a better place. You can reply to this thread, or send us an email (if you wish it to be private) by clicking here.

Thanks

TJR

sydude 09-27-2006 10:01 AM

Re: What Changes or New Features Would You Like to See on this Site?

Anyone? No suggestions, no complaints? Nothing? Nada? Nicht?

dalyduo 09-27-2006 01:48 PM

I think the instructor’s gallery, the new car discussions and many new members who are finding TJR a useful resource for information while sharing their early racing experiences are all outstanding recent improvements.

TJR has evolved into the defacto virtual clubhouse for skippy racers and Sy Aryeh and Doug Harrison should be given full credit for their regular updates and improvements that continue to make it stylish and relevant fun for everyone in this self-selecting community.

It is the ultimate compliment to both of them that so many of us take this site for granted without awareness of the work that goes into maintaining and updating it.

Doug never calls attention to himself but is always adding visual content with creativity and style few realize. Many of us have avatars that Doug has cleaned up or improved without ever telling us that he did it while the creativity and commitment that goes into his banquet videos could not be recreated at any price.

Sy claims he's less involved than ever before but his idea of backing off still includes spending more hours than most full time employees of a web site would spend at the keyboard.

The best thing about TJR is that it creates the space for Skippy racers and friends to celebrate, grouse, tease, learn, share and play with each other between the few and far between weekends we actually get to be on track with each other.

Anything that prolongs that kind of joy is a very good thing.
:D

Just an over due tip-o-the-cap to Sy & Doug!

Jisu Kim 09-27-2006 02:17 PM

It would almost be churlish to suggest improvements to the content or organization of the site. I echo DD's accolades and add my own appreciative thank you.

I'm not much of a participant in the discussions, but I lurk quite often and monitor the progress of some of the popular threads. My access point is usually the home page. It would be great if you could click directly to the last page of a multipage thread from the home page. Maybe there's already a way to do this that I haven't yet discovered.

999 09-27-2006 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jisu Kim
It would be great if you could click directly to the last page of a multipage thread from the home page. Maybe there's already a way to do this that I haven't yet discovered.

Jisu... 2 things I've learned recently.

1- you can reorder the threads so that the most recent post shows up at the top rather than the bottom... HUGE help for the long threads.

2- you can click on 'New Posts' and see all of the threads that have been updated since your last visit.

birkmama 09-27-2006 03:11 PM

I would like if we there was some sort of online competition going on like games etc. I did like this craze about the parking game, despite the fact that a meager 69 seconds was my best.

Maybe we could add some ranking lists of best lap times per track.

What I like about skippy land is the friendly competitiveness and maybe there are additional dimensions to create room for it on the page other than the verbal fencing matches.

birkmama 09-27-2006 03:13 PM

Sorry guys, I am in sequential mode. Another thing would be a spell check. Could be optional for most but would have to be mandatory for Sid :D

dalyduo 09-27-2006 03:30 PM

On a sidebar to Martin's suggestion it might be interesting to have in our profiles the space to list tracks we've been to, our race results and best lap times. (perhaps even personal notes about the event) It would certainly be humbling at the beginning but probably less so when you could see that most all of us started out dog slow at the back of the pack before rising to mediocrity and beyond. The catch would be you'd have to show all of your early races so strategists couldn't just cherry pick their best showings and ignore or deny the learning curve involved.

I suppose the downside to this kind of data could be too much stress on going too fast too soon. It could also drain away too much of the fun factor but I like the notion of tracking progress. It probably has to be all voluntary. If you do it you have to show everything. If you don't you show nothing.

My duo cents. :D

Jisu Kim 09-27-2006 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 999
Jisu... 2 things I've learned recently.

1- you can reorder the threads so that the most recent post shows up at the top rather than the bottom... HUGE help for the long threads.

2- you can click on 'New Posts' and see all of the threads that have been updated since your last visit.

Thank you Michael. Just what the doctor ordered.

DALhsm 09-27-2006 04:48 PM

I remember some talk about GT4 time trials, I don't know if it was deemed impossible, or what ever happened with that idea(plus I'm to lazy to actually look for what happened) hah.

Not to mention I'm spending all my spare money on racing, so I don't have any consoles right now.

I don't know about you guys but the Autobachs Toyota MR-S at Deep Forest is some of the most fun. Some of my best grudge matches have been held there.

Unfortunately I haven't had time to participate in the F-1 deal.

But you guys do such a great job.:bowdown::r::cool2:

chsutherland 09-27-2006 05:01 PM

i think the site is great. i enjoy reading the posts, looking at the pics, watching vids...the whole thing. It was helpful finding hotels for all my skippy stuff, helped with finding places to eat, i bought my helmet etc from a rec off this site, and even had it wired just like Dick Lipperts. could you add a list of rich single women? i really want to be a stay at home dad
craig

dalyduo 09-27-2006 05:52 PM

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Ellen Barkin was just dumped by Ronald Pearlman and after her 20 million pre-nup settlement she's auctioning off about 12 million dollars in jewels he tossed her way. She's probably a little old for you but she still looks great, could teach you a LOT and then sponsor a mighty fine racing team without breaking a sweat... :D

Let us know how it works out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chsutherland
i think the site is great. i enjoy reading the posts, looking at the pics, watching vids...the whole thing. It was helpful finding hotels for all my skippy stuff, helped with finding places to eat, i bought my helmet etc from a rec off this site, and even had it wired just like Dick Lipperts. could you add a list of rich single women? i really want to be a stay at home dad
craig

TomBobN20 09-27-2006 07:05 PM

It was really clear how great this site is from the response to the two recent accidents at Mid-Ohio. I was amazed at the concern, compassion and comaraderie that showed up from the Skippy community, not to mention the side threads on safety that evolved. This site serves a great purpose and the efforts to create and maintain it are very much appreciated.

How to improve it. Get rid of the Pit Girl section. I never get anything done at work. (Just kidding you guys, don't touch it). We need a full report of the recent trip to Motor Mecca, Der Nordschleife.
I'd also love to read what people have done driving in Europe or going to races overseas.

Keep up the great service.

chsutherland 09-27-2006 08:31 PM

Dalyduo i think you need to be promoted to chairman of illicit affairs.......or perhaps keeper of the map........

999 09-28-2006 01:05 AM

The best ways to improve this site for me would be:

More replies by Daly Duo :D
More bitching about money by Oldman! :bigcry:
And fewer videos and photoshops by CDH ;)

gmg321 09-29-2006 01:56 PM

Sy,
I think the site is fantastic! The creation and perpetuation is beyond my comprehension and immensely appreciated!
In awe,
Michael Gomez

tom goodhart 09-29-2006 04:32 PM

Sy,
I think the site is great. I haven't had the funds to race since 2004 so for me its a really good way to stay in touch with what's going on at SBRS.
Tom

Gerardo 09-29-2006 09:29 PM

Sy and Doug,

Thank you both for keeping this site going!

And thanks to everyone else for reading and posting your thoughts. It takes every person to make it as special as it is, even when Michael writes the very first thing that comes to his mind, or when Pat writes everything that comes to his mind. :D

Tom jr 09-29-2006 09:46 PM

Nothing to change, this site is awesome. I learn so much reading all the posts. As well as some of the funniest things I have ever read have been here.

thanks for the site,

cdh 09-29-2006 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerardo
even when Michael writes the very first thing that comes to his mind, or when Pat writes everything that comes to his mind. :D

:rotflmao: :eilims: :rotflmao: :eilims: :rotflmao:

LimeRockRacer 10-01-2006 06:25 PM

Sy:

Didnt you get my email?

sydude 10-01-2006 08:48 PM

Chris, I replied late on Thursday night. I'll resend it right now, and let me know if you still don't get it.

LimeRockRacer 10-02-2006 10:49 PM

Sy:

Got it both times. I wasn't able to access that e-mail account until Monday AM. Thank you!

One other idea: How about a task bar or links to get to new posts or home at the bottom of the page after you post or read the last post? Would save a lot of paging up.

Thank you for the great work you do on this site!

cdh 10-02-2006 10:57 PM

LRR - no 'TOP' button at lower right of page?

sydude 10-03-2006 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys, thank you for all of the great compliments, ideas and suggestions so far. Please keep them coming.

Here are some of the additions and/or modifications I've added to my mod list because of your responses:

1. TJR Arcade System, with 3 or 4 car racing games, a poker game, etc. Scores are tied into user profiles, and the system keeps track of best score of the day, week, month, year etc.

2. Spell Check (not sure if this is feasible yet.)

3. Race results in profiles - I thought about this one a while ago, and I think it's interesting. Can I get some more feedback on what you'd like to add in your profile (you would enter this data in manually yourself) that shows up in every post? The idea is to add them under your title or your post count on every post. See here:

Attachment 1438

Don't forget to keep the ideas & questions coming.

Thanks

S

LimeRockRacer 10-03-2006 08:20 AM

CDH...never went down that far! :doh:

cdh 10-03-2006 08:21 AM

Sy - OK as long as it can be controlled by user, not all may want to have race history displayed, me for one.

dalyduo 10-03-2006 09:27 AM

Sy,

The games and spell check get big thumbs up. Not sure game scores should be automatically in your profile. I'd say make it optional with a toggle just as you'd have the option for race results. Like the overall concept though.

sydude 10-03-2006 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalyduo
Sy,

The games and spell check get big thumbs up. Not sure game scores should be automatically in your profile. I'd say make it optional with a toggle just as you'd have the option for race results. Like the overall concept though.

Sorry, I didn't mean that game scores would be in your profile - I meant that game scores are tied in automatically to your user log-in info. In other words, when you go and play a game, it automatically recognizes who is playing and integrates your score with who you are. Clicking on your name in the high scores list will take you right to your profile, just like it would in any other part of the site. Basically, it's fully integrated.

Here's an example of an arcade system that would be similar to what we'd have (except it won't be messy):

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/arcade.php

Gerardo 10-03-2006 09:38 PM

Sy,

The image you showed with results under the name is interesting. Like Doug, I would suggest user controllability.

Instead of wins, poles and such (too much like bragging), I was thinking of something like:

Memorial Races Entered: 99
Times I've passed Sy Aryeh: 248
Lifetime Crash Damage Total: $Lost Count This Year
Number of Times I heard Matt Franc in a panic voice yell "AAAAAAAHHHHH!!": 1,649

What do you think?

Rebekah 10-04-2006 05:27 AM

There is already a spellcheck... but you have to use the actual "reply" instead of quick reply. it's above the smilies in the corner it says ABC with a checkmark :) . I think you may have to download something as well...

oh... and as far as I know it doesnt work on firefox...so I have to use IE if I want to use that feature *blech*

badgersid 10-04-2006 12:30 PM

IN replay to marten i tink i dunt kned any stenkin spelchic.

cum bak oui mrs yu

sid

sydude 10-04-2006 02:50 PM

Gerardo - you win.

:crying:

PS - 2006's net net passing total is +1 for you. If I graph the historical curve and extrapolate for 2007, the result would be 'Gerardo's Ass is Grass' :fight: :D

Redneck 10-04-2006 04:25 PM

GREAT SITE !!! :r: :bowdown:
The only thing I sometimes wish for is to know who the people are...I think everyone knows that I am Redneck, Sid is Badger Sid....but LimeRockRacer, DailyDuo, and the list goes on....These are not as apparent to a "newbie". I would not object to having my "handle" and my name displayed.....
Ken Hughes
AKA Redneck

cdh 10-05-2006 11:21 AM

Hey Ken, I miss your coffee! Many of the user profiles include the person's real name, Daly and LimeRockRacer do, when you are logged on you can view a user profile by clicking on the name or avatar. Links are in the member list as well.

Good to have you here Redneck, hope to see you at a track again soon http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ons/icon14.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck
GREAT SITE !!! :r: :bowdown:
The only thing I sometimes wish for is to know who the people are...I think everyone knows that I am Redneck, Sid is Badger Sid....but LimeRockRacer, DailyDuo, and the list goes on....These are not as apparent to a "newbie". I would not object to having my "handle" and my name displayed.....
Ken Hughes
AKA Redneck