View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: Solutions to the Point of Diminishing Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
A very very simplified answer:

1. Use of in-car video camera every session, every car, every series.

2. Use of data acquisition when practical.

3. Work with all the talented coaches you can, that's everyone at Skip Barber, but also coaches you might meet outside the family who work for IndyCar teams, Atlantic teams, etc. They love to talk about what they do, and are seriously good at it. Many graduated from Skippy before moving on to pro teams.

4. Keeping an open mind and accepting feedback. Filter some of it, but always an open mind.

5. Mandate gradual increases in risk tolerance. Even with no money (I never had a good budget), you can increase risk tolerance with very calculated choices. The money issue can be managed so long as your tolerance moves gradually.

6. Preparation is not just track study. It's taking care of your body. Sleep, exercise, good food, love, friends, a good job. All very important to good performance on the track.
A simplified response... with much insight. Thanks Gerardo. Items 5 and 6 are especially thought provoking. You, and other instructors, have helped me read a track and decide where pushing the envelope can be done with indemnity... and where discretion is the better path (RAtl T12, for instance! ). I do also understand that having the skills necessary to recover a bad situation needs to be a focus early on, especially for those of us brand new to racing (i.e. starting with Skip). I read Item 6 as spiritual, physical, mental and emotional balance... pursuit of any one of which is a lifetime journey; there's one HUGE piece that I just realized I've been missing at the track. Thanks for the wakeup call.