View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedback

Alright, I'll admit it, I use a nylon strap to keep my HANS on. As MJA knows, I have had trouble keeping the straps from slipping off. I have used the HANS for two seasons and have tried all of the suggestions for keeping it on (tug/slip, tighten/slide forward, tighten on straights, etc.). No matter what I do, the strap occasionally falls off my right shoulder. Even when it is on tight, I worry about whether it will fall off in a crash, especially one that is partially sideways. Much to MJA's (justified) horror, I have taken to using a nylon strap that clicks together like a backpack strap. The straps have never slipped off since.
The obvious downside is that if I need to get out of the car quickly, I have one more thing to release. Yes, I've repetitively practiced reaching for the clip to get it off and I still check it and the belt release everytime before heading out onto the track. Plus the nylon strap actually will slide down and off when everything else is released.
Is this a good solution? Clearly not. But I prefer it to taking the risk that the HANS will fall off either in a race forcing me to come in, or worse in a crash. I don't recommend a life of drugs and violence to anyone either, although it has always worked for me.....