View Single Post
Old 09-28-2004
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Re: New Subforums - "Collections of Best Older Threads"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
I wouldn't.

You could re-activate the topic with a new thread anytime. Sy's suggestion to have a link to the original thread is good, but a thread that hasn't been active for two months isn't showing up on anyone's screen anyway. The idea isn't to limit response, its housekeeping to manage interesting threads that deserve to be archived for easy review.

How about a button on archived threads that says "Reactivate this thread?" Some threads will warrant reactivation from time to time and others may be special or unique enough to deserve intact preservation.

It's just housekeeping.
I can't put a 're-activate' button in. But this discussion is good, in that it makes me think that instead of putting read-only 'copies' of those threads in the special forum, I should just move the originals in there, and let them be open to replies. I can always simply move them back into their old parent forums if I wanted to. The only negative to this is that it opens up these 'classical' threads to change, which may be a good thing or a bad thing. I guess I could always delete the new posts if they're not additive.

Pat & Mike, new votes please on if this is a good or bad idea. If you have a better one, then I don't want to hear it. JK.