Thread: Lead Follow
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Re: Lead Follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc998M
Harsha,

You still have spots open for the Dirt Fest Round Two? I will have to check with the wifey. She and her family are coming up for that week / race weekend.

Also, I am planning on sitting them in the stands at the bottom of turn 5. Would you be so kind as to let me pass you there once?

Thanks
Marc

I do believe that the Open Wheel Racing School and Rent-A-Ride (yup, that's the official name-- that's why I love the dirtsters, it's down-home good clean family fun) will be able to run everyone who wants to go. Just need to know for sure by, say, middle of next week. It would be fantastic if you could join us.

As for the Turn 5 pass, I see the scenario working out this way: if I happen to qualify better than you, then you will have to muster all the self control you have and lift way out of the gas during my patented Asleep At The Switch starting style and actually tuck in behind me on the front straight into Turn One. I will understand if you don't want to carry 20 mph less than is possible into the first corner, I myself don't know how I do it. But if you can bring yourself to do that, my brain immediately shifts to Normal Mode on exit from the corner, and so it won't be too painful following me into Turn 3. Then voila, you are in position for the drafting pass into 5.

If, however, you ignore everything Gomez has ever told you and is going to tell you between now and then, you will probably get quicker, and you may outqualify me. In that case, I will be 3 or 4 seconds back by the time you guys make it to Turn 5. All I can say is that once I catch you, if you can hang on for a lap, I'll be happy not to block you going into 5 at least once.

Another possibility is for me to punt you off in 5. Although we drivers are under the sad delusion that our loved ones are actually aware of what's happening on the track, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that they really don't get the passing for position thing. On top of that, it all happens too fast for them to figure out who's passing who. All they really understand is winning and wiping out. And since winning probably is not in the cards for either of us, if I get behind you I could arrange a really spectacular wipeout at the apex right in front of them. All it would take is some subtle, low-speed sidewall-to-sidewall contact during trailbrake. Nothing dangerous. You go around, gesture at me wildly, wait until all the other cars have dodged you (even more excitement for spectators) and then rejoin. No harm no foul. If you stay on the tarmac and I'm good enough, we won't even have to pit. On the other hand, if you go into the gravel, then that's REALLY exciting for nonracers, cause they get to see all the rescue vehicles come flying in and haul you out, they get to see the pace car again, and a free parade lap. And you're sitting there in front of them for 5 or 6 minutes. No searching frantically for your helmet or car number in the pack.

Let me know how I can be of service.