View Single Post
Old 06-02-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: Starting Out in Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsutherland
I put a pen and paper to it..... I could go buy a truck, a trailer and a race car, and i would have equity. However i don't doubt for a second i am currently money ahead racing with SB....
Ditto. I was at Elkhart Lake the week before the vintage races several years ago, stopped by the track when I saw the gate was open, where I ran into Terry Earwood who allowed me to sit in on a classroom session. Later ran into Terry and Stevie D at Siebkins where the hook was set. Later I went to a 3-day at VIR and a 2 day at Laguna to get credentials to vintage race the XK-120, but found I loved the formula cars and the SBR experience (thanks Keith W!) and stuck around. If I were to race the Jag I would be on the hook for the full value in case of collision damage, then there's the tire bill @ $350 each, $10,000- $20,000 for a mid-pack vintage Jag race motor, spare gearboxes and diffs, tow truck, trailer, PLUS where is all of the spare time coming from to do the regular maintenance a race car requires?

This is a sweet deal. I like it. Racing has never been tennis. It costs more than two fuzzy balls. When it was chariots, you still had to feed four horses everyday.