View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: Solutions to the Point of Diminishing Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffDogRacer View Post
So, after my third race weekend at Road Atlanta last month, I’ve had some time to reflect. Overall, I’d say that it was a success. I had two, event free races with some pretty good competition; possibly some of the most exciting racing yet and a PB to boot. In second practice, I was within a second of my competition (i.e. not Dennis!) when an off-track excursion took the edge of my risk tolerance and I had to back off a bit. However, after studying lap times, looking at video and really analyzing my performance, I must concede that overall I was no faster then last year. That’s disappointing. Fun is fun but I want faster fun!

So here’s something to chew on:

I believe every racer’s maximum performance is defined at any point by, at least: 1. Physical parameters (car, track); 2. Innate talent / ability; 3. Risk tolerance; 4. Resources (time and money); 5. Study and preparation. The first and second are fixed. The third is a function of the fourth, and for most, the fourth is fixed, therefore, so is three. That leaves study and preparation. Now we finally arrive at the point! I’m interested to hear how some of you have made the most of what you have, the trade secrets of aspiring professionals notwithstanding. How do you wring the absolute most out of what you have? Where have you found tenths of event seconds through crafty, cleaver use of relatively limited seat time?

Thanks! gdr

I would say this thread has been excellent to read.
I have to say i especially agree to the listening to feedback from a lot of different people.
it has certainly helped me.
For me - this is what is so awesome about SB, I have learned so much from so many different people about so many different aspects of racing, that I just cannot believe it.

i want to add that visualization is another technique that can really help.
I thought it was silly at first, but i visualize now every day. I visual the last race weekend that i was just at all the time, even though it was 3 weeks ago.
It allows me to correct mistakes and lock in 'good stuff'

Greg