View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Re: A thread to vent about Indycar

This rendering was done following Massa's brush with death. Just one man's study of a concept, lovely work, a lot of talent here, and fugly imo (but it would look a ton better with a full, unobstructed canopy).

I have no desire to see changes like this, it was a knee-jerk reaction to a very close call. I don't blame the car, the car defines the series. If we close in the wheels (being partially done on the rears of the new DW1 Dallara) and the cockpit, we have a sports car. I never want to see the formula car disappear, it IS racing in my book. Hell, if F cars survived the 60's and 70's, they should survive this. I'll avoid wandering into the social aspect of dumbing down everything, removing all risk from life, etc (well maybe I just did ) but I do think there is a distinct connection. We can't remove death from racing, but by making smart choices of venue, # of cars and driver qualification a lot of safety can be in the mix and still put on a hell of a show. F1 is an excellent example of changing with the times and actually improving the racing with new technology without cost to speed, excitement or safety.

Last edited by cdh; 09-06-2012 at 07:22 PM.