View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Re: Technique Talk #6: Experimentation

Rob--

Thank you for taking the trouble to post these teaching points. I haven't had time to go through all the threads, but I hope to later this week.

I think this one in particular is great. Especially when you say that it is easy to get in the habit of just following all the instruction you get mechanically, without analyzing how appropriate it might be for one's level and/or driving style. Since everyone has their own style, and since there are sometimes as many different ways through a corner as there are instructors asssigned to it in the course of 3 days, I have found that one particular person's feedback may be easier to integrate into my style or level of ability than someone else's. So it's great to hear you suggest experimentation, as we can get the impression that this is discouraged since many of us are still relatively inexperienced.

It is interesting that I was able to begin experimenting after being taught how to "read" car balance at different points in the corner by you and Bobo at the Masters Invitational at the Glen. This finally gave me objective feedback with which to judge the effect of a change in line, brake point, etc, besides just tach readings.

Also a good point about driving on different parts of the track. The outside of Turn 8 at mid-O is a great example-- it was MUCH slipperier than the normal line, which some people found out by getting sideways during the race, especially in the early laps when it was side by side through there --almost happened to me twice!