View Single Post
Old 09-06-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedback

Oldman..so basically you are saying you can't afford 1 race to keep your eggs in the basket?

When I get a chance I will post the crash I had at LRP in 2004 into the tire wall at about 90 MPH after track out of the downhill. I had just put my HANS on. After the Video comes back on after the impact you will see Rob and EMS coming over to me; To whom I indicate the only pain to my head and neck was at more forehead where I know the helmet and HANS kept my head on my shoulders.

I don't want to be the poster child for the effectiveness of the HANS device, but if you had lived my crash I think you might be a believer. Just a guess on my part.

Later, I realized I had a plateau fracture to my left knee that had the clutch pushed in. You can actually see the impact and the energy come to that side of the car as it worked toward my leg. Ouch! I proabably should put this portion of the post onto the other thread that talks about what to do in a crash. Sorry.

I detect that much of the resistence to this series following suit with making HANS mandatory has more to do with the reluctance or the disdain of being told you have to do something. I. E. Freedom of choice. Of course we all know that our racer personalities would never resist or take a stand on anything where we felt someone else was dictating to us, would we?

Why not just make them available to new drivers and anyone else wanting to rent one as oppossed to purchasing one?