View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedbac

I guess the poll brought this back to the top of the list so while it's here, so's my two cents.
Many of you know I had a left-front wheel center break out of the Turner (think Austin Healey Sprite) flat out in West Bend last year. Contrary to the wishes of the vintage club, I had installed a racing seat (to keep me under the Hans) and had added a bar to the roll hoop to provide the Hans-recommended angle for the shoulder belts. It ain't no Skippy car but 5500 rpm works out to a little over 90 mph at the point just past the apex where the car turned left. Thank the tire wall for the 'sudden deceleration' at about a 40 degree angle into the barrier.
Not only was I uninjured but the next day I felt no discomfort whatsoever. And at my age that's a rare day indeed!
Buy one, borrow one or steal one. But wear one.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."