View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: Hunter Mountain/Skip Barber Winter Driving School

Funny how things go.

Two weeks ago, I was visiting my in-laws in Scottsdale AZ (80 degrees and sunny).
I was in the store and a woman came up to me and asked if I was a Skippy instructor. I was wearing a golf shirt with a Skip logo on it. (Thanks to Chris Brassard)
After assuring her that I was not crazy enough to be an instructor..... merely a racer. She asked if I knew about the winter driving class at Lime Rock? I told her I thought it was at Hunter Mountain in the Catskills. She said she wasn't sure about geography as she was from Westchester.

She got to the point and asked if her husband and son should take the course? I said it would be a great thing to learn to drive in winter conditions. She might like it, and learn something too. She replied that she had a land Rover and didn't need to go because the Land Rover did everything for her in the snow.

We talked awhile and she was amazed that I paid for lessons in driving a race car. She said that she assumed crazy people just got in a race car and drove fast. "You took Lessons?"

I assured her that going to Hunter was a great idea. But we should warn Lime Rock folks that they may see a directionally challenged NYer looking for a winter driving experience.