View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Re: Computer Car Session Cost for 2007

Don't know cost but my suggestion would be to take human bites.

My first time (last year at Sebring) I wasn't as bad as I thought I'd be... Meaning the amount I was off at each corner didn't seem like much... Until it was pointed out that the collective effect of being off a tenth or two or three multiplied by 17 turns turned into a 3 to 4 second deficit per lap!

After initial overwhelm and with expert (Gerardo) guidance my focus went to turns that would yield the most improvement. Gerardo was very helpful in prioritizing where to focus and how to achieve better results.

MHP, Gerardo, Phil... all the computer car instructors that I've worked with, or looked over the shoulder of while working with friends, have their own way of working the data and they're all wonderfully articulate and helpful.

The cool thing about the data is it shows you exactly where you are braking, turning and getting on the throttle. It's pure scientific data. So you'll discover with absolute certainty how and why you are fast where you're fast and slow where you're slow. It's really a kick seeing first hand how good those instructors are at putting the cars at the limit lap after lap. If two guys are working the trailer and one bests the other by a tenth the other will want to go out and find that tenth... And they will, without crashing the car. It's a real priviledge to be coached by them and see their absolute lap data. A little window into a world most of us seldom visit.

Take notes. Take your time. Assume there are no dumb questions, be prepared to be humbled and have fun!

Last edited by dalyduo; 04-06-2007 at 12:24 AM.