View Single Post
Old 11-15-2004
GrandMasterB
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedback

Hey Dalyduo:
While it may seem that the downhill is the most dangerous corner at LRP it is not, it's just the most popular place to leave the track! When you consider how many cars have gone off at speed (on both sides) and how many really bad injuries have occured, it's fair to say it could be worse. The uphill on the other hand is probably about as fast, and with no run-off area to decelerate on and no tire wall to absorb the impact. Tony Monk died at the uphill not too many years ago because of that corner's design. A Hans device may have helped, or maybe not. But like chicken soup, it can't hurt.

While I don't deny the value of a device (Hans or whatever), I also wish LRP would pad the walls at #4, #5 and under the bridge like they have at the downhill and west bend. I wish track management was as concerned for our safety as much as is Sy.

WGI should also take a look at the tire walls at the LRP downhill and consider such walls at their place. The styrofoam may look soft, but it does not dissipate energy! It's more of a money maker than lifesaver. How much do they charge for those blocks?

OLDMAN