View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Re: Physical requirements for a 3 day racing school

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
Welcome aboard Dakar

Tough to say not knowing the resistance of your M3 clutch, but the SB formula car clutch is very light, and you aren't using it except to get going and when downshifting. I don't think it will be a problem whatsoever.

Def wear elbow pads, I didn't until after a few schools and I wish I had them from the start.

Go fast, have fun, the 3 Day Racing School is some of the most fun I have ever had.....and remember, eyes looking where you want the car to go!! enjoy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
CDH is correct about the ligthness of the formula car clutches. However, if you feel the clutch of the car you are assigned is too heavy, you can request to try another car. Every once in a while, a clutch pedal gets stiff for different reasons the mechanics can figure out with some testing.

When I raced in regionals in 2000-2001, I sprained my left ankle jumping down from the pit wall at Daytona just after qualifying. Later that day and the next day, with ankle brace in place, plenty of swelling and pain, I did two races and was able to operate the clutch about as normally as one could expect. Maybe adrenaline helped!
That's great feedback. I feel much better now knowing that the clutch is relatively lightweight.
Thanks for the elbow pads suggestion. I will definitely get a pair before heading out there (considering that i already have an injured elbow).

Gerardo, I'm sure you were very soar the next days, after the race!

On another note, is the steering wheel much heavier than that of street cars?

Thanks again