View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009
Hey Wait For Me
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: Anyone had any experience with the defNder™ Neck Protection device? (First post h

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Hhhmmm. Isaac does a comparison sled test with a HANS device and the belts slip off... What a surprise! If I went out with my belts as loose as those on that dummy... I'd be the dummy.

While the focus and purpose of the video is to show a shoulder strap slipping off a HANS device, there are a couple of other things shown that probably don't get much notice or consideration. If you look at the range of head motion forward and to the side in the sled tests there is almost no difference between the two devices in side motion even with the HANS being held in place by one shoulder strap. And with one strap there is still less forward and down head motion with the HANS when compared with the Isaac. Because the helmet tethers on the HANS will stabilize the helmet even if only one strap is holding the yoke in place you still have most of the intended protection with one strap. Hadn't considered that before and wouldn't want to test it but glad to see it illustrated in the sled test.

Easy to see why HANS lawyers may be studying the Defender design. Though the Defender is a composite of different pieces bolted together the overall design looks a lot like the HANS.

I am pretty sure those belts were both at the same level of tightness. For those tests they usually hand the device to the testers and the facility is the one that does the 'attaching' of the device to the crash test dummy. The dummies cost roughly 50K last I heard, and they don't want to risk breaking one.

As for it looking like it holds the head in place, that is a subjective result and not really a helpful one. I think the one that would be more useful is what the actual numbers were. I don't think I've ever seen the numbers for when the HANS has come out from under one of the belts.

Many incidents however are more than one hit. What is the scary thing is if you lose the HANS/belt interface in the first hit and then have another.

I'm not an Isaac 'fan' and not a HANS basher as I currently race with a HANS. However HANS does have some areas where improvements could be made IMO and it appears that others have worked on those areas.
CircuitMotorsports@gmail.com