View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006
All Heart, No Money
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedback

As a person who at this point participates in one race a year purely due to the cost I have considered a Hans device but have not purchased one.
There is a combined reason for this. At Sebring in February this year and last, there were more people without the Hans than with. Being new to this sport this was saying to me that it would be nice to have one but it is not a necessity. Since this is a rare injury, only the guys who are out there multiple weekends are the ones who really need to worry about it.
And, there is that price tag of $1,000. I use skippy suits and helmets so now I'm looking closer to $2,000 to get set up for a once a year event.
If helmet restraints were required, SB would not have a choice but to purchase Hans or R3's or both. If left to the racer to purchase there would be a dramatic reduction in first timers coming into the fold. With the amount a race weekend cost an additional $25 or $50 wouldn't even be noticeable. I agree with Michael about requirements or laws that must come strait from insurance company lobbyist aimed at protecting us from ourselves or worse yet, an insurance claim. When it comes to this issue, the death of Dale Earnhardt overshadows any insurance companies concerns or any amount of advertising for Hans with public opinion as to why anyone would not wear one. More often than not, when the subject of racing comes up, people ask me if I wear "one of those helmet things so your head doesn't come off". (I live in Fairfield county CT were all autoracing is thought of as backward &NASCAR. I guess they figure my family is from Alabama so thats why I race. Much better than being associated with canoe trips and banjos.) These are people who have very limited exposure to the sport to say the least and even they are talking about it. It would be in the best interest of SBR to voluntarily require helmet restraints reinforcing their commitment to safety. I think it would be as effective a marketing tool as it is a smart piece of safety equipment. And as much as my ego would not like to admit it. When it comes to my new found love of racing, I am that wobbly two year old looking over the edge of the dock. Any new and improved life preserver will be a welcome addition should I loose my footing.