View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Re: OBD on the Skippy Formula Cars?

Gerardo -
Yep - and thanks for that update.

I just finished the 2 day at Sebring. What a BLAST! Full Course - a bit of wet-work, and a good number of Shoot-Out applicants - so a great class overall.

Had a chance to crawl over the cars and did a short discuss with Kieth Watts and a few of the mechs. The OBD port is easy access and just behind the seat on driver's left shoulder. Would need a dongle - but could easily build and adapt any number of fittings for data capture. Kieth even suggested pulling power from the starter as an oppurtunity to add a port for just power (e.g. a G-Tech Pro RR like unit. This could be accomplished with an appropriate donation to the mechanic's fund but simple enough to add.)
As I mentioned in my last posting - not so much interested in live info - but post-"flight" debrief/review. Depending on the capture method, some approaches could require data merging with the video - and that could be a time "sink."

As you said, it can add more tools to the kit!

Some of the apps available need the OBD to even function - even though they use the on-phone/tablet accelerometers for traction circle. The other challenge (mechanically) is configuring a mount - the phone/tablet needs to be upright for the accelerometer to read correctly as understand it.

The "Go-Pro" I shot is getting lots of review - now that I have time .
I couldn't download it while at Sebring - computer malf But better late than never!
The ideal opportunity would be just after the session - with full data available and add a little Instructor feedback to get an optimum lesson-learned. A challenge would be trying to jam all that in a very busy session no doubt. Casey ran a fast paced program - and we got a lot of laps in so it was a really meaningful experience. And that's where a trade-off would need some real deep thinking. For example, more complete feedback to improve on-track performance - vs more seat time.

I am going to continue to pursue solutions that could get to the data capture objective. As I am building a car - it is something I'll want anyway. If/as I come up with any Skippy adaptations I'll report back if there is any interest.

Thanks and,

Cheers - Jim