View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

F1 Chinese Grand Prix

What did TJR/SF members think of the F1 race this weekend? I found myself completely absorbed in the drama from practice to the post race interviews, to the point that I got up to watch the race live. The racing was exciting, the differences in strategy created real tension, several drivers seemed to have a chance to win, and the final victor was in doubt until the very end, with Webber's charge through the field creating the juicy possibility that he might have a go at Vettel for 2nd (given one more lap, he probably would have). The changing fortunes of Hamilton and Webber with evident frustration during qualifying and unique tire strategies that paid off in the end, Button's stop at the wrong pit box, Rosberg and Massa's impressive performances, Hamilton's emotion at the end-- all seemed to bring out the human element more than usual.

Of course, much of the drama was possible only because of the insanely high rates of tire degradation Pirelli was instructed to provide, the movable rear wing (DRS), and the problems RedBull are having with their KERS systems. My question is, do you think these new technical additions to F1 actually make for good racing, or are overly artificial means of trying to spice up the action and create a false spectacle, as drivers on old tires have no chance of defending themselves? Or is avoiding being a sitting duck in the late stages the incentive teams need to bring strategic decision-making (as opposed to pure speed) back into the sport?

Last edited by Slowhands; 04-17-2011 at 03:05 PM.