View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Re: F1 Chinese Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post

What about Fernando using his DSR where it is illegal to do so? Was there any wrist-slapping for that very clear, on-air, slo-mo violation?
From BBC Sport, Andrew Benson's blog:
I see one of the key questions you have is why we saw Fernando Alonso's moveable rear wing deploy at one stage between the two final corners when this was not in the zone in which it is allowed to work.

I have an answer to that.

What happened was that on that lap only, Alonso's wing was not enabled until 300 metres before the braking zone for the corner at the end of the long back straight - when it should be available from 750 metres before the corner.

The wing was then available after the corner for a short time. Alonso therefore gained no advantage as he was only able to use it for a very short time on the straight, in a slow corner and on the exit from that corner.

In those circumstances, obviously there will be no penalty as it was an error - the reasons for which are still being investigated - which did not help the driver in any way.
Maybe he was pushing the button on the following corner trying to figure out why it didn't work right the first time. Maybe it was just a conditioned response to being right behind another car and trying to pass. In any case, I personally can't blame the guy for leaning on the button. None of us would, right?

Quote:
Bring on Istanbul and turn 8...Diabolica
I can't wait! It's going to be a long 3 weeks.