View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedback

I finally purchased a HANS device and installed it prior to the July LR weekend. In race 2 I was having the fastest race of my experience over the last 2 years. Well, it happened...Going for third in the downhill, just completing my fastest lap ever by 2 seconds was setting up to pass on the staright and I ran out of track on exit...wheels kicked out and slammed across into the tire wall at about 80MPH.

EMT's asked me whether I had neck or head pain and remarkably I said NO. I would up fracturing a bone in my knee, possibly in my shoulder and elbow, severly bruised up... I did notice I had pressure on the top of my forehead when I got out and had a headache for 2 days. The HANS device probably saved my head from crossing the tire wall.

The video says it all. Any one who races without investing in a device that will save your life for the cost of one race is being short sighted and is asking for trouble.