View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Re: Finally signed up for my 1st race!

My second race weekend was at Sebring and I was off the charts excited, nervous and scared because it was my first time traveling to a distant track to both learn and race. Many nights leading up fell asleep watching race videos and in the end, they were almost worthless. Until you've driven a track and have it first hand in your mind and body the video's are of very limited practical use. iRacing may be another story but it doesn't sound like that's an option at this point. So don't sweat the track prep too much as it will all go out the window once you're on the track.

The most valuable thing I did going in was having a lead/follow session with an instructor. Jim Pace showed me the line and some of the obscure landmarks such as concrete and tar patches that make it easier to pinpoint the right place to be on track through critical corners. Because Sebring is so flat there aren't a lot of landmarks you can use as reference points. Jim sat me down with a track map and told me what gears to use, where to check my tach and where some of those patches were that revealed the proper line. If you can't afford a lead follow just sit down with a track map and any of the instructors and they'll pass that info along.

It's good to remember that because the track is so long you get a relatively low number of laps during any session. I believe we only run about 9 laps per tank or full lapping session so being relaxed to take in and retain everything that you're experiencing will really make a difference.

The repeated theme here is have fun. Relaxed and smiling is a very good thing, and you go faster that way!

Last edited by dalyduo; 01-09-2011 at 05:41 PM.