Thread: Gear Talk: How to select a helmet?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Re: How to select a helmet?

They only started making these suits in late 03 or so. As far as I know, there is no difference but I can't be sure. Also, I would ask if Nomex has a 'shelf life' in terms of effectiveness.

Sparco has a US office in California and the people there are very helpful. I'd give them a call.

The one difference I noted waas in the color combos.... I had to get black with white because black/black (or maybe it's gray) wasn't available at first. Although the black/white is 'slimming' (a joke!.... although maybe MacD should try one!!) my son said I look like a power ranger. Doh!

One more thing to consider if you are buying new gear.... Sparco has a new material out called Carmyth. It is very expensive (ie $100 for a balaclava, $200 for the shirt). It is supposed to be more fire retardant than Nomex and much more breathable. I bought 2 balaclavas (the brown/gold ones you may have noticed) and I love them. Definitely keeps the moisture off my face better. So far I can't get myself to spring for the new undies as mine are new... and quite becoming as you can see in the photo caption thread!!