Thread: Gear Talk: Scanner suggestions
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: Scanner suggestions

Hey, I have a Uniden "NASCAR" scanner - maybe a different model, but it is small and it works, and it was cheap. I used some tape to cover the NASCAR logo...

I created a cheat sheet about how to program, and have the Skippy, SCCA and ALMS freqs listed on the back - East is different than West, I learned.

I actually use it IN the car to listen in on the spotters - the humor is sometimes distracting, but I do get a heads up on "situations" earlier. I tuck it into my suit or clip it to the frame rail behind me. Reception if fine everywhere I've been, except between T6 and T7 at Laguna (behind the hill).

Key thing is to get GOOD earphones - I have a pair of custom ones from Sampson Racing - make the mold at home, they send them to you. I use when flying with my iPod and PC, better than Bose. Tom Roberts has a pair of the rock-star ones. They are made to fit under your helmet, and are compatible with the radio coaching setup. (I know have my helmet wired, so even easier)

If you are interested in getting a two-way radio, check with Todd Snyder - he hooked me up with Skippy's radio supplier and I got a used one for $99 with all the extras.