Thread: IndyCar Academy
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013
IndyCar Academy
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Re: IndyCar Academy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K View Post
David and I were in the same run group at Laguna in December, it was a great group, and I think we had a great time. Everyone was at least a couple of seconds faster than I was, but I got to see some great driving close up.

In the afternoon lapping/lead/follow session, we got kind of bunched up, to the horror, they claimed, of the instructors, and got a lot of wheel to wheel experience. Here's a vid segment of the session.

Helix no longer gives you a video file but posts them in their entirety on Youtube, so you have to edit this yourself. Maybe some day, I'll figure out how to capture Youtube videos, but now's not that time.

FF to about 7:30. The bunch was a little slower than anyone in it, so I could at least keep them in sight. At about 8:30, the instructor passed me on the approach to the Corkscrew, giving me the 'follow me' Mohawk chop. That evidently inspired me enough to keep up through 9 (in spite of that giant, get into your head, washout just beyond trackout) and 10. Then into 11, when he pulls out to pass, I figure well, he did tell me to follow, so I follow. Then we're two wide and 2 deep, and I thought, "Wow, this really IS an advanced school!" I don't know who it was on the right, but I think we both knew I was going to end up parked at the apex so I didn't compound the stupidity, gave him the lane and let him go.

After that, it got pretty lonely.

I'm so psyched that David's going to Sebring, I wish I could go to watch.

Best,
Fred
FRED! Great meeting you at the 2 day. I agree...I think all of us had a great time. I mean...what's not to love about that place. Gorgeous weather, a race track, and cars that we get to drive! To any car guy it really is a place in the sun.

I know Aaron G. will also be in attendance! He was at both my 3 day AND with Fred and me at the 2 day.

I'm really looking forward to putting faces to all these names. It's shaping up to be an amazing experience.

Fred, check your personal messages...going to send you a way to save that video of yours.