View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

First Lapping Session

Good afternoon all. I just got back from Homestead this morning from my first ever lapping session. I wish I could remember all of the instructors names that were there. I felt that I received the most detailed feedback at the lapping session than I have out of any of the Skippy programs I've completed so far. The morning started out with a van around, followed by a driver's meeting. Insurance is $250 for one lappind session and a lapping session is 2 full tanks of fuel.

Homestead humbled me A LOT! The entire infield is basically all about hard controlled braking and getting back to the gas as fast as possible. I can honestly say I did not master it. HaHa! I felt I was improving and with another couple of sessions I would have seen improved times and better understanding of my problem areas.

I never nailed the entry to turn #3 or turn #8. I messed up nearly every time. I had issues with locking up the brakes for the first few laps too. I managed to flat spot a brand new set of BFG Sticker fronts Nascar 3 and 4 were pretty awesome. This is probably the only part of the track that isn't slick as goose shit. I liked the flat out entry tthrough turn #1 off of the Nascar front straight. I got cocky there and lost focus. Cracked the throttle BEFORE I hit "the bump" twice and paid for it with two high speed spins. I spun once more in turn #8 as well as a 4 off in the runoff area of turn #6.

I needed more seat time, so I decided to go for the cheapest lapping day only. I was a little discouraged with all of the mistakes I was making but all of the instructors were encouraging and I've learned to note mistakes but don't let them bother me much as long as everyone is okay. I was wishing I could've run the race weekend but after the lapping session results, I'm kind of glad I didn't. HaHa!

The Lead Follow sessions looked interesting. I wasn't aware they put a radio on you to talk while you're both on track. Pretty cool and only $400 more I think. Peter and Keith were there for lead follow. Watts is a hoot. A real down to earth roots racer. Dude will drive anything.

It was just nice to get back onn track in the formula car and have fun learning. I'm carrying about 20lbs extra weight than I was during my 2 Day class and man I can feel it. I'm so sore and out of shape. I'm going to remedy that and get back to where I need to be before the April race weekend in Sebring. I'm leaning really hard towards making that my first race. I'm familiar with the track and hope I can make a decision soon.

That's my little review. I hope it helps anyone that is thinking of a lapping or lead follow session.