View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Re: First Lapping Session

Great report... You're in the steep part of the learning curve in all the right places. Generally race weekend instructors are the most experienced so your feedback is probably the best it can be. More lapping days and seat time will slow things down for you and give you more confidence.

When I started out at Lime Rock I swore to myself I was going to do lapping days until I could break one minute laps before I started running race weekends. (I was in the high 1:03's after my 3-day.) That lasted exactly 1 lapping day. Was told the fastest way to learn was to jump into the deep end of the pool and race so I signed up for a race weekend. It took a couple of years to get under a minute but the learning process was so much more exciting and fun in the race weekends. I still get humbled every time I sit in a race car but seat time is the only magic elixir that usually leads to good things.

Lead follows are good because you do have an experienced set of eyes giving you direct, in your ear, feedback. If you can swing it, it's a great learning tool.

Keep up the good work!