View Single Post
Old 03-20-2005
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedback

Though we've kidded you mercilessly about your D-Cell Michael, you've clearly gone the extra mile in seeking an answer to having the HANS work for you.

My only question would be, were you using the 30 model (which is the degree of decline said to be optimal for skippy cars) for your test at Laguna? I would assume you were. Since it worked fine in the Porche but not the Skippy car, it sounds like the recline of the RT and your particular shoulder slope or body structure is not a good match. There is also a 20 model recommended for Formula Fords... wonder if that might not dig into you so much?

All of your points about researching strap length and fit issues are well taken and important.

At the other end of the spectrum. I ran 2 lapping sessions, a practice day and 3 races at Sebring with my HANS and never had a problem. I like the way the device secures me in the car under the straps and had no belt slippage or pain where it presses my body.
I always ask a mechanic for a visual check that the straps are over the device properly even though I'm now confident that I'm getting it right. Other drivers have put hardware store non-skid strips on their HANS to make the belts less prone to slippage but that hasn't been an issure for me.

I think you nicely make the point that we're all different and there may be different paths to both safety and comfort. The responsibility ultimately lies with each of us.