View Single Post
Old 03-20-2005
WillowCross Racing
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedback

Michael,

Truth be told the HANS is a misery in the Skippy car if;

1. your chest is bigger than a size 40 and/or
2. the top of your shoulders are ABOVE the seat belt anchors in the car.

both allow for belt travel (especially after a lap or two at speed) that the yoke on the HANS device can't tolerate - causing them slip off. Guys have tried velcro, bungee cords, and even taping channels on the outside of the yoke to keep the belts centered on top of the chest portion of the yoke. But I wouldn't recommend any of those techniques as they impead your ability to quickly exit the car. I used Sy to help. He would cinch me into the car like a white-tailed deer strapped to the roof rack of a '74 Grand Cherokee. The bad news was my eyes would water from the pain but the good news was the tears kept my contact lens from drying out.

But worst of all is if your Skippy seat is all the way to the back of the cockpit. The HANS upright behind your helmet doesn't have enough room and makes contact with the rollbar frame and pushes your head forward in a sensation much like being facemasked by Ty Law. The really bad news is it's hard to keep your head up. Your eyes naturally drift down into the cockpit (aptly named) and you find yourself starting at your groin - which is actually the good news because when you hit the wall head on you will be able to kiss your balls goodbye alot easier - hense the benefit of the HANS device.

Last edited by macdod; 03-20-2005 at 07:02 PM.