View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Re: Lotus 49 onboard of a modern F1 track

This lack of skill in proper downshifting of that box reminded me of a thread from back when - topic was sequential or H box in any new / improved SB formula car for the school...which way to go. My point was -

"Sequentials are great trans, almost no-brainers to operate properly and that's one of the reasons I would like to see a crash box remain as part of the school curriculum. I found mastering well-timed, double-clutching heel/toe downshifts in the school car one of the most satisfying accomplishments of my 3 day school. There are still many series where this skill is de rigeur. Vintage racing of all sorts, SCCA open and closed wheel cars abound with H patterned shifters....keep teaching the old school crash box, you never know when you might get a chance to drive some delicious vintage machine, would be a shame to muck it all up."

Thread here, interesting reading for many reasons, but I think the Rossi / L49 video more than backs up my point...tsk tsk...and Jimmy's car no less, egad!! NOW, I do not recall what type trans he learned on at Skip, was a while back, probably a crash box....guess it didn't take, as Rob mentioned. Then again, who could get into that car and deal with it properly???? He did OK