View Single Post
Old 05-05-2006
All Heart, No Money
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedback

Life is choices, Not chances.

Steve,
My fingers were interpreting what my brain was saying and there is allot of room for interpretation in there.
The point I’m trying to make is that participants going into their first race weekend (I think) are unlikely to purchase a helmet and Hans. If it is a part timer (again my opinion) I don’t think they will run right out and make the purchase immediately following the weekend either and this is why.
SB says just show up. We will provide you with everything you need less shoes and gloves. You go to your 3 day and get a Helmet w/no Hans. Go to your ADV 2, again helmet no Hans. Get to the track for your first weekend, same thing. You look around and some people are wearing them, most are not. (Than there is MA who just base jumped off the grandstand)
Given SBR's emphasis on safety, are they not implying that this is a piece of equipment that is not necessary to keep yourself safe on track?
Your first experiences in the car are going to be some of the most memorable. You’re learning something new, dangerous and something you have probably wanted to do your whole life. You’re going to remember this stuff !
When I learned to ride bulls, vests were as much a part of the equipment as your boots and rope. For me, climbing onto the back of a bull with no vest would be like climbing into a car with no helmet. The vests significantly decrease the number and severity of injuries in that sport but even after the death of Lane Frost who was bull ridings Dale E. people who had been riding without them continued to do so for years.
If the goal is to get everyone wearing helmet restraints than they should be introduced in the schools as just another piece of equipment that you don’t get into a car without. If there is a small increase in the cost for schools and weekends to cover SBR’s investment I think it will be easily offset by the knowledge that someone knows they’re getting the latest and greatest in safety equipment and put SBR in front of the curve.