Thread: Gear Talk: Go Pro Mounting Advice
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Re: Go Pro Mounting Advice

That's very good advice from someone who knows even more about driving race cars than GoPro camera mounts... And he knows a lot about GoPro camera mounts. (Andrew, suggest you Google "Jim Pace race driver" to fully appreciate who's advising you. ;-)

The other thing you should know is there will be a Helix Video person at your 3-day, mounting a video camera on your car and taking still shots of you that, in my opinion, are worth the nominal fee for a framed montage of action pics and take home video of your track laps. I believe they only record video on the 3rd day of your school but there may not be many sessions you'd need or want to record before the third day anyway.
You'll be pretty busy processing your school activities, so letting someone else handle video and pics might be the best use of your time.

Having said that I agree with Jim that a roll bar mount is preferable to a helmet mount because the roll bar doesn't move around like your helmet does. The helmet mount can be an entertaining perspective as long as bringing the camera along doesn't distract you from your work.