Thread: Skippy Prototype Car ('05-'07): New Skippy Car Components Survey #3 of 8: SAFETY FEATURES
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: New Skippy Car Components Survey #3 of 8: SAFETY FEATURES

1. I like my current foam seat, but would be willing to try beaded if the cost is reasonable. Hope they don't get bigger with the new car, however, as my current foam seat fits neatly into a suitcase, which is a blessing given that I fly to ALL of my race weekends.
  2. Helmet Halo sounds good, but it needs to be adjustable for those of us who are on the shorter side, or it won't do much good. In the current AS size RT/2000, I need to put the headrest at its full extended position for it to be of any use whatsoever. Chris makes a good point about trying to increase protection against other cars intruding into the helmet area of the cockpit . . . . several times in my 15 year SBRS career I have had drivers show me tire marks left on their helmet by another car that went flying by after wheel-to-wheel contact. Have to think that it was just luck that none of these drivers were seriously injured.
  3. Agree that a setup where mechanics have to belt in the drivers would be too much of a burden on them. Hope the belts in the new car can be positioned so they don't slip off of the HANs so easily. Also wonder if a device can be found that would rigidly clamp the belts into place after they are adjusted and tightend for a given diver. My normal experience with the current belts is that I tighten the belts down as hard as I can, then get a mechanic to pull on the shoulder belts as hard as they can, and yet two laps into my race, everything has loosened up to the point where the shoulder straps are sliding off of the HANs. This sort of loosening can't be good from a safety perspective; any gizmo that could stop this from happening would be great, even if it increased the number of steps required to buckle into the car.
  4. Anything that can be done to minimize wheel to wheel contact, and the resulting flips without running up crash damage costs would be greatly appreciated. Putting some sort of nerf bar up front in place of the wings, and running with wider sidepods would help. Also wonder if a contraption like the ingenious set of rollers behind the rear wheels of the Rotax RM1 kart could be devised (see http://www.rm1-kart.com/video/rtps.mpeg).