View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: Hotel recommendations for Watkins Glen?

I can't wait to go to the Glen. Mr Chicken, Seneca Lodge, The Glen Motor inn, Peter Argetsinger. They are all old fixtures of time gone by but you gotta love 'em. OK Pete is not quite on that level, but he did give me a great tour of the old course.
My choice for the Glen used to be the Glen Motor Inn (the Skippy guys stay there) but I began to think that I slept on the exact same mattress that Denny Hulme slept on 40 years ago. They do know everyone in town though.
Last time I was there I stayed at the Seneca Lodge. Everything you have written about the place is true; no phone, last upgrade in 1962; towels that wont go around a 32" waist; 15 channels on the tv(no speed tv either) paper thin walls. And I'm talking about the NEW section. BUT ..... You have to stay there for the bar and restaurant and the fact that it hasn't changed since the owner brought racing to the Glen in the 50's.
The restaurant is good even if my dinner guest has eaten ther for 40 years and has had the exact same thing every time!!!! Or that the waitress suggested 3 dishes to me as "really great" and when pressed for her favorite one she said " I am a vegetarian, I won't eat any of them"!!!
Campy small town kitsch, BUT you just have to stay at the Senecea Lodge. Seee You All at THE GLEN
CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!