View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: Initial braking....Technique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso
OK, I'll bite. Why do I seem to have soooo much trouble bringing big initial braking force to bear? ... but I still was locking up the left front entering T2 25% of the time.
If you are really cooking over the crest of the front straight at Laguna, then you likely cannot produce lockup initially, no matter how hard you press. My guess is that you do not apply enough brake initially, then you realize that you are not slowing quickly, and you apply full brake (by which time the car has already slowed a bit). The main problem is that the amount of pressure required to produce lockup varies directly with the speed of the car. The slower the car is going, the less pressure required for lockup. If you push too easily at first and then try to compensate by increasing the pressure, you are converging swiftly on lockup. What you need to do is push hard initially and then gradually release the pressure as the car slows.

Now ... how to go from a 10 pedal on the brake to an 8? Do not move your foot. Instead, relax your thigh muscle. As the car slows, relax some more. Then eventually you will move your foot as part of the brake release.