View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Re: Adjusting Helmet Post for HANS Device

As for travel... I have had my bag lost twice while traveling. Considering I almost never check bags, that makes the percentage VERY high. Therefore, I refuse to check things I'll need the next day. So, for race weekends, I pack critical race gear, including helmet, in a rolling duffel. I also pack toiletries and medication in that bag.

Everything else for the weekend (including screwdriver!) goes in a large checked bag.

As far as my conversation with Arai... DO NOT USE THIS INFORMATION WITHOUT CONSULTING HANS DIRECTLY FIRST (my lawyer made me say that!). Basically, they told me that while the manual suggests 6" +/- 1", they prefer 5" +/- 1". The length is measured from the edge of the device to the center of the hole that fits over the post.

They also said that the flat edges of the screws should be parallel to the ground when the driver is seated in the car.

We also discussed how the belts are mounted in the car. I would ask Skip Barber to pay close attention to that issue if and when they redesign their car.

SERIOUSLY... THIS IS AN IMPORTANT ISSUE. HAVING THE HANS IS PART OF THE SOLUTION, USING IT PROPERLY IS ANOTHER. DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR ANY OF THIS... CALL HANS... THEY WILL BE HAPPY TO SPEAK TO YOU.