View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Re: Motorsport.com: BARBER: Ashley Freiberg Road America summary

"With two laps to go, leading the race with a hard charging field behind me, the car in second and I touched wheels sending the front four of us off into the gravel pit. I was the only one of the four that survived to leave the scene. I fought my way back up to a 5th place finish."

Well that is ONE interpretation of the events. Unfortunately I was one of the folks that got taken out by a certain someone else's poor judgment. The result was that the one-off "guest" who is not running the series finished 5th while the 3 other participants who are fighting near the front of the series could not continue due to car damage and went from 2nd, 4th, and 5th to 13th, 14th, and 15th, plus we each had to cough up $750 for our 10% share of the CD (you do the math). Interestingly enough, she was actually in P3 trying to shove her way into P2 in Turn 6 of all places when the incident occurred, not "leading the race." And the "fight back up to 5th place" consisted of a drive through pit lane and finish under FCY behind the pace car while competitors are limping along on 3 wheels or stuck in the gravel. Even in the modern age of hype, I think that's pushing the definition of "leading the race" and "fought my way back," don't you? No apologies either. It might be racing, but it's not karma.

One of these days I will learn how to deal with codecs and formats and how to edit video and I will post my vid of the event. It will be part of a series I seem to be developing tentatively entitled "How Not to Be The Car Most Likely to Be Taken Out While Minding Your Own Business: Do the Opposite of What You See Me Do." Plus all my encoding jokes aimed at Doug are coming back to haunt me. Now THAT is karma.

edit: was composing this while Kevin and Pat posted. That's REALLY karma.

Last edited by Slowhands; 07-14-2009 at 10:13 PM.