Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2012
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815
Re: Closed Cockpits in F1

And for a more serious reply,

I respect everyone's points about how racing probably should never lose some element of risk and danger. I can appreciate that, as that risk is something I completely enjoy when competing in any race car.

I have had the privilege of racing both an open cockpit LMP prototype and a closed cockpit canopy LMP prototype coupe, both in 2008 with Mazda, and would like to comment on the comparisons between the two.

From my perspective in the car, it made little difference which car design we raced. The thrill was extremely high in both cars. A great deal of the thrill came from simply managing the car at speed, in traffic, sorting the balance, sorting the level of risk in passing, line choices, etc.

Given how insanely fast F1 cars are, and how difficult to drive they are, running a canopy should still offer an extremely risky and pleasurable experience to the pilots.

Whether or not the fans, observers, writers, critics, and officials can accept the look of a canopy car is another valid story worth discussing.

But, I cannot agree to an argument that the racing would be easier in canopy closed cockpit F1 cars. Winning against great drivers/pilots is hard whether its electric indoor karts, Skip Barber cars, Spec Miatas, LMP prototypes, F1 cars, or fighter jets.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use

Bookmark This Thread