Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 06-29-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Road closed to everyone but YOU!

One of the key sales pitches of this deal is that they sell spectator tickets to the event and theoretically give the proceeds to the town they are running in. This means there is pressure to put people close to the action so they'll want to come and buy a ticket. What could possibly go wrong?... Well here is graphic evidence of that. There is no crowd control and complete chaos after the wreck. Except for a couple of people who run to the drivers, the fastest moving people are those shooting video. And the helicopter noise and turbulence is only adding to the situational stress. This is very disturbing.
Old 06-29-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

This says it all:
Old 07-04-2010
All Heart, No Money
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Hello everyone. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, I needed them.
When I interviewed for this show they asked me what I thought about street racing, my reply was something like this. It is dangerous, there are obstacles on the sides of roads that you don’t have on a track and there are plenty of tracks and autocross locations to fill your adrenaline need for speed. Well, I think that is pretty clear, don’t know why I needed to do a visual presentation of it as well.
As far as the crash goes, I remember it all up to impact with the boulder than a couple snap shots of consciousness and the next thing I remember is waking up in the hospital with my Mom standing next to me. There were two factors that created the crash, steering input and condition of the road. I don’t know if it was left over frost heaves or what but driving this section was like being in a submarine with depth charges going off. The car would jolt left and right and I just kept a loose grip on the wheel and let the car self correct. After a top 5 finish Saturday with a time that still kept me in the top 10 for Sunday I did not plan on taking this run, in fact, I heard Ashlei’s voice giving the speech I’ve heard before every skippy memorial “you’ve been standing in the hot sun all day, it’s late, your more tired than you think and you have a better chance of wrecking the car than winning”. The first time I heard this speech I ignored it and was introduced to the tire wall in turn 1 at Sebring. On Saturdays run I over slowed the car for a dip in the road so I figured just drive it safe and add some speed where the dip is and you can shave some time off. I never made it back to the dip. I was tired and forgot about this section being so bad. My steering input was o.k. for 60 or 70 mph but a bit heavy for 130 (likely the result of not being on track in 2+ years), at the same time I hit a ridge in the road and at that moment I knew what was coming.
As the back end came out I looked across the road and saw the telephone pole. I literally said to myself “you’re going to hit that telephone pole”. I was pretty much text book, both feet out, counter steer, as soon as the car is 90 degrees with the road both feet in. I even looked down to make sure no part of my foot was on the gas. As I skidded down the road I had a slow rotation and I prayed there was enough that the telephone pole would hit the trunk and not come through my door. My prayers were answered more than I could imagine. I have not seen the footage but have been told I first hit a boulder in the rear quarter, went airborne and made two rotations in the air before striking the pole almost dead center of the trunk removing the center section of the pole leaving it in three pieces.
A crash investigator at Sikorsky (where I work) did an analysis and figures I took about a 40G hit. My injuries: Collapsed both lungs, Broke vertebrae C5 & C6 in the neck, L1 & L2 in the back, cracked my hip in two places, broke 6 ribs all left side (I could swear one is broken on the right, ouch!) and knocked out my adrenal glands for a few days. Thankfully the crash happened less than a mile from where EMS and fire were staged. At the hospital one of the EMS workers just shook his head when a friend of mine asked how it looked. Thank god my family wasn’t there. By the time they heard anything I was in somewhat stable condition on a lifestar helicopter to Dartmouth. I don’t think I’ve ever told my brother that I love him but did so when I came off the respirator. My injuries were painful but the effect this had on my family was as devastating to me as my condition was to them. Don’t wait to tell your family you love them.
Pat, there has been disbelief among drivers as to why and where people have been staged. After my wreck and especially after NY the drivers are now banding together to demand safer roads and conditions. We were promised Nurburgring and VIR types of courses and what we’ve run on so far makes the FDR look good.
I have been asked many times when or if I will race again. With the possibility of neck surgery to fuse my vertebrae still looming, I really don’t know. If I do head back I will start with just flagging which should make Sid very happy as it will be one less person to coax into the van. I’ve heard Sid is not allowed within 500 feet of school zones as the children are usually found as corner workers with yellow flags duct taped to their hands.
I look forward to seeing you all again soon. Have a happy and healthy 4th of July.
Jeff.
Old 07-04-2010
Grand Master

Jeff,
Your self awareness and honesty is touching. We've never had a more serious incident reported first hand and we're thrilled you're recovery is going well enough to hear from you.

You've had a life altering experience and it's way too soon to consider the question of racing again. No question you're a racer. It's just a question of time and what's best for your body, your family and your own mind going forward.

I'm angry that organizers have put drivers and spectators at risk with an event in which participants are driving street cars without roll cages at full race speeds on poorly maintained public roads in close proximity to solid objects and innocent spectators.

Something is very wrong when competing drivers have to band together for the most basic of safety requirements. While roll cages and properly mounted race seats and belts are an added initial expense they make all the difference in the kind of crash you experienced and could likely be the difference between the life threatening injuries you've received with lengthy/expensive recovery and simply getting out and walking away.

When you dangle big buck prizes in front of inexperienced drivers and don't fully disclose (and even misrepresent) the circumstances of the competition while under requiring safety equipment there is no excuse.

The first thing you do with a project like this is make safety the number one priority so the focus can be on the competition, not on the survival of competitors or spectators. I've no first hand experience to make an educated opinion but the anecdotal information is deeply disturbing.

Racing is dangerous and bad things can happen to anyone but both of these incidents make you question the organizers more than the participants.

Pat
Old 07-04-2010

Gallery Images: 8

Well said Pat. Jeff I am so very glad to hear you are on the mend. More importantly that you are here to tell your story and your family that you love them.

This type of irresponsible reality tv needs to go by way of the crapper. You and the participants were being put at more risk than any self respecting and educated race organizer would ever allow.

I also have a problem with the local municipalities allowing such poor safety measures for this type of an event. Have we all lost our common sense when the dollar gets waived in front of us?

Jeff, please know we all have been praying for you and your family. May you have a speedy and complete recovery.
Old 07-05-2010
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Hell of a story, glad you are recovering. How the hell do the organizers get insurance for this kind of reckless operation? Maybe they don't?
Old 07-05-2010
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Jeff, really happy that you're ok, and welcome back.
Old 07-08-2010
Diesel Demon
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

This was in my local paper. They did mention "...one car upset and turned over injuring the driver.....". No mention of the proximity to the course of the spectators nor race officials (as we saw in the video).

http://www.strausnews.com/articles/2...j/misc/232.txt

And, to spice things up, in the same issue of the paper, a Ferrari gets destroyed on one of my townships more notoriously challenging roads.

http://www.strausnews.com/articles/2...ws/news/10.txt

I'm just glad we still have you with us Jeff, and I sure hope we see you at Lime Rock in a few weeks, flagging of course !!

Viz
Old 07-12-2010
All Heart, No Money
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gary, that Ferrari looks about as bad as mine. Here are a few pics of the car, I just received these. I don't even know if a cage would have helped or just crushed me. I had just installed a harness the Wednesday before, probably saved my life, as well I think a little help from the big man upstairs was in order on this one. The Schroth harness mounts to stock seatbelt locations but can not be used with my Hutchens hybrid or a Hans. Since everything happened backwards I don't know if they would have done anything for me. The last pic is my baby during happier times. I can't remember who but it may have been JP that told me "Never race your own car". Why don't I ever listen.
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	M3 May 23,2010.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	3831   Click image for larger version

Name:	WTF M3.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	3832   Click image for larger version

Name:	My little car..jpg
Views:	55
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	3833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dont race your own car!.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	3834  

Click image for larger version

Name:	full car (2).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	3835  
Old 07-13-2010
Grand Master

Wow... Once again sobering Jeff... It was a beautiful car.

My non engineer opinion is that a properly installed cage would have made an enormous difference especially with a drop top car. The point of the cage being to prevent the crushing and twisting that collapsed your interior during the crash. A properly engineered and installed cage would not allow it. You can still be seriously injured by rapid deceleration but the drivers compartment and seat should remain protected and intact.

I'm reminded of Joey Hand's spectacular crash as the ultimate testimony to a proper cage. If memory serves an ankle injury was the worst that came of it.

The other side benefit of a cage is improved handling by way of a more rigid frame to hang springs and shocks on. (Less chassis flex)

Old 07-13-2010
administrationistperson

Agree on cage, disagree on Hand, no sudden horrific deceleration in that one, his inertia was dissipated over a longer time span - very rough ride, big g-loading, but nowhere near as bad as Jeff's I imagine. Glad you are mending Jeff, the pics are truly frightening
Old 07-13-2010
Grand Master

Agreed there is no sudden deceleration but the reason this accident applies is that the driver compartment of a conventional sedan without a roll cage would have, in my opinion, been likely compromised at the first impact while balling up further in each consecutive end-over. The roll cage held the integrity of the passenger compartment not allowing it to compress while both ends of the car are disintegrating . The fact that the car got as much air as it did and did as many rotations as it did while the drivers compartment was never compromised is a tribute to the engineering and execution of the roll cage.

Didn't mean to suggest Jeff's crash was similar to Joey's. Just using it as an example of how a roll cage can positively effect the outcome of a serious crash. Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
Agree on cage, disagree on Hand, no sudden horrific deceleration in that one, his inertia was dissipated over a longer time span - very rough ride, big g-loading, but nowhere near as bad as Jeff's I imagine. Glad you are mending Jeff, the pics are truly frightening
Old 07-13-2010

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Didn't mean to suggest Jeff's crash was similar to Joey's. Just using it as an example of how a roll cage can positively effect the outcome of a serious crash.
Another example (from a earlier thread), where Richard Petty endured the following series of antler twirls followed by being hit at a pretty high rate of speed. All that he suffered was a sore ankle, and he attributed the minimal injury to the strong chassis built by his cousin.

Last edited by dalyduo; 07-13-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2010
administrationistperson

Yeah for sure a race chassis / roll cage ALWAYS is better to have if properly installed/built. Note - none of these drivers were seriously injured in any of these pics, or I would not have posted.

Certainly helped this BMW at the Nordschleife:

Here is what happens when a bolt-in cage is not properly installed/built (notice cage feet popped right thru floor):

Adding this one because it is the beefiest frame/cage pic I saw, I want to be driving this one:

This was too outrageous not to post - no one very seriously hurt - Crown Vic vs tree

Never know what you'll find when searching 'race car chassis'

Once again, glad you are healing Jeff
Old 08-13-2010
Diesel Demon
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

From the looks of this "director's cut" I'd wager when the show hits the air this fall there will be more of the "agony" than the "ecstasy"

Jeff, how are things ?

Viz
Old 03-21-2011
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Whoda thunk this was coming?

Quote:
Dear Open Tryout Participant & Fans of the Robin Hood Rally:

The Robin Hood Rally has become the subject of a legal action, which we will vigorously defend. Unfortunately, until this legal action is resolved we must cease racing operations and the events planned for May 20-22nd and September 23rd-25th are canceled until further notice.

All of the individuals that recently signed up for the May event will receive an immediate and full refund of their payment and will be considered "first" on the list for future events. We will plan to offer anyone that completed a Participant profile first seating for the future events prior to public announcement. Thank you to all that signed up, we received over 400 applications in less than 2 weeks!

It is our expectation that we will clear this issue and be racing again soon!!

Please email me with any questions.

The Robin Hood Rally Team
Old 03-21-2011
Marketing Wonk
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude View Post
Whoda thunk this was coming?
What a disappointment! I really enjoyed watching the last Robin Hood Rally on...

Oh yeah right, it wasn't broadcast anywhere, was it. I wonder if the big prize was ever paid out. I also wonder if that is the source of the legal action. Hmm...
Old 03-21-2011
Grand Master

Yeah... it just keeps getting curiouser and curiouser.

Bookmark This Thread