Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 10-22-2009
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

I want to be a Grand-Am Sports Car Driver

I am seeking information to be a Grand-Am Sports Car Driver. I am very passionate about the series and racing in general. I am 20 years old and I am in college for Marketing. Yes I think I’m starting late but I know many drivers have started the same time or later than I am. My plan is to do a 3 day Skip Barber School then a 2 day advanced Skip Barber School. Next I want to run the SB regional series and hopefully I will succeed. Next I will try for SB national series or Koni Challenge. I understand everything about the type of racing that I want to go in, but sponsorship and funding something I don’t know much about that I need to learn because it’s all about money. I will be investing money starting now to help me start out. I don’t have any history in racing but I have run many solo events and I have a lot of practice time in a kart at my local track. I appreciate any and all help that anyone provides me.
Thanks,

Ryan
Old 10-22-2009
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
Re: I want to be a Grand-Am Sports Car Driver

20? Just a young kid..No worries. You are on the right path..Don't quit karting(ever). Do some kart racing and race as many different cars as you can..Your plan with Skip Barber is a good one..
Old 10-22-2009
Pitlane Sasquatch
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Follow your passion,

No substitute for SEAT TIME...

Given a choice, ALWAYS drive someone elses equipment...

The hardest part is putting yourself behind the wheel, which consumes some resources: Time, Money, Family, Friends.
If you want it bad enough you will figure out how to make it happen...

However, if you can pull off finishing your formal education at the same time, all the better!

It will be a hell of a journey no matter what...

SD
Old 10-22-2009
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

In addition to the ernest encouragement offered by two of SBR's most esteemed instructors, I would add that you should NOT rob banks near the track to find the cash to race, it's been done and the FBI is on to that trick. Disregard that advice if you can wrangle a board of directors or executive commitee seat. And it is customary that the new guy buys the Jager shots.
Old 10-22-2009

....And Bring Your Checkbook ... the letters are big for a reason !! It is a great series!
Old 10-23-2009
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Welcome Ryan,

Your plan is a good one regarding a progression in the Skip Barber schools and series.

Here's a recent sampling of drivers who've had success starting with SBRS.

John Edwards link

AJ Riley link

Gerardo Bonilla link

John Pew link
Old 10-23-2009
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

hey ryan, my son is right there with you. i don't know much, but i'll tell you what we're doing. it's a little different cause my son is really young, but he's trying to race any and everything he can for experience. i'm trying to help by getting him as much seat time as i can afford, and with SB, there's not alot of seat time compared with adding other types of racing to your program. i'm trying to help him by giving him tons of hours testing and as many race starts as he can get each year. you might want to look into karting at the 103 track there in jax (i see you live there), also in easykart at monticello (you can rent those). of course, ocala is the best in N FL. also, look into legend racing. we do that and while it's mainly ovals, the car awareness you get out of it is awesome and you can get tons of seat time racing. since my son has been racing ovals, his passing has impoved tons, and he's extremely comfortable in real tight racing situations. he's not wild about ovals, but reminds me all the time that half of the IRL races are ovals (his dream is F1, but he would be thrilled with IndyCars or DP's). with karting and legend racing (not including initial costs) the racing is pretty cheap by comparison, and you can get tons more seat time. we shoot for my son getting to drive 3 days a week (combination of kart and car). good luck and maybe we'll see you down the road in the paddock!
Old 10-24-2009

Thanks to all of your responses, I really appreciate everything. Feel free to keep adding info because I need it. I am also going to join iRacing very soon to learn tracks, cars and the fastest way around those tracks. Its the closest thing to seat time without getting into a car or kart. One point I am very interested about is funding. When i start, i will be abil to provide myself with the start of my career, but once i start im not going to want to slow down because of lack of funding. I would love to learn how to deal with sponsors and how to start a realtionship that leads into any kind of sponsorship before the day comes that i need to know how to do it. Again thanks for everything guys.

Godbless,

Ryan
Old 10-24-2009

ryan, again i don't know much, especially compared to others on this forum, but i'll tell you what i've learned as we are where you are. bottom line, don't plan on getting help with funding. with economy down, advertising is limited by companies it seems. we came from motocross where sponsorship $ was available because of the number of units being sold by the manufacturers. that was a huge blow to me when we switched to karts. my son was not the best in the country, but was factory sponsored by the time he was 8 years old, with a list of product sponsors that was pretty long. with racing on 4 wheels, no sponsorship $ at all. motocross didn't cost me that much at all, but i'm now having to foot the entire bill. from what i've learned, you have to be able to fund for quite a while before help comes. it's all i can do to keep up the karting and bandolero racing, so my son made a professional presentation that he worked on for about 3 months to his grandparents, and they are going to fund SB for him. our goals are to continue getting as much experience as we can, get about 2 years of SB experience, then compete for the karting shootout and hopefully win a scholarship. from there, the winner of each series gets a ride in the next series up the ladder. that's our goal. in the mean time, maybe the economy will turn and $ will be available for help, but i've gotten the feeling to not count on it.
also, i see you are in college in marketing. we're still a ways off from college, but my son is real interested in some of the racing engineering degrees being offered. also, a big help is studying the book 'Going Faster'. my wife homeschools my son, and that book is the basis for his studies. awesome book.
Old 10-25-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Ryan--

Stevie De is a man of few words but great insight. His post is so precisely to the point that I will only expand on it. Pay very close attention to every item in his post:

1. Follow your passion: It's how you can have a life that is energizing, exciting, fully consuming, self-actualizing, lived to the limit, with no regrets. But following one's passion can be a high risk endeavor, so many people opt for more conventional paths.

2. Seat time: How much seat time you need to start achieving meaningful success will depend on how much "natural talent" you have, meaning how your brain and body has been wired by your genes. The more naturally talented you are, the more quickly you will progress. But even if your natural wiring is not optimum, if you have a good brain, good visual processing, average reaction times, and tenacity, you can re-wire yourself through intelligent seat time. Especially at your age, the brain and nervous system are very plastic. Skip Barber is the ideal environment for that kind of work. But be prepared to pay the price for that. As Ron says, BRING YOUR CHECKBOOK. Even the supremely talented need seat time to get to the top. Plan on budgeting $200-300K to get yourself to the point you are competitive Nationally. After that it takes real money.

3. Drive someone else's equipment: Invest your funds in your craft, not in maintenance, repairs, depreciation. Let someone else prep, haul, fix, and sweat the mechanicals.

4. Putting yourself in the seat often enough will requre dedication, focus, discipline, sacrifice, prioritization, and LOTS OF MONEY. Remember, only a TINY percentage of the drivers who love this sport have the whole package that allows them to get sponsored. If you have those kinds of self-marketing skills, then go for it. But you better figure out how you are going to pay for it without sponsorship to have the best chance of making your dream a reality. Buy and read "Ahead of the Game: What Every Athlete Needs to Know About Sports Business" by Ken Ungar. Absolutely essential book.

5. The only difference I have with Stevie is that I will say in no uncertain terms: FINISH YOUR EDUCATION. Gear it towards your passion, drive while you are in school, but FINISH it. If you are serious about driving as a career, learn about sports marketing, especially motorsports. Become an expert. Network in the sports biz. Use your education and contacts to give yourself the leg up you need on every other driver out there. Getting a sponsor is more than driving fast. If you are able to bring more to the table through your education and networking, you significantly improve your chances of creating your own niche.

Becoming a professional race driver who can make a living from it and support a family is a highly challenging task. Which is why most young aspiring drivers have parents footing the bill for their dreams. (Lucky those!) Becoming a doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc, is a much more secure path if you can do the work. Success on the track is only one ingredient. It is a high-risk, low-probability life path, potentially full of excitement but difficult as hell. It will test your passion, solvency, self-belief, and every relationship. If you want to succeed, all I can say is plan on working as hard as you can at making yourself better at everything you do-- physically, mentally, emotionally, your personal standard of excellence. Good enough is never going to be good enough- you have to be better than everyone else.

But damn, you will have fun doing it.
Old 10-26-2009

Thanks guys for all the time yall have spent helping me, I read going faster and that was a great book and I am going to have to read ahead of the game. I am most defiantly going to finish my education and get as much seat time as possible while in school.
Old 10-27-2009
Skippy Instructor

Ryan,
Print Stevie D's reply! Post it somewhere you can see it regularly. ALL GOOD POINTS. Especially follow your passion!
I would add:
1. Seat Time with a Plan! Have a plan! Otherwise you are just having fun/frustration and writing large checks which every one is happy to cash.
2. Don't go into debt to fund the racing. Make a budget and plan accordingly. Business decisions in an emotional environement are difficult. Forget the TV stories of so & so "mortaging the farm to run the 500". Very bad plan and takes a passion and turns it into a nightmare.
3. Put yourself in a good environment. Like choosing a college it will not take the place of your own study habits but surround yourself with those trying to HELP YOU rather than just run another customer through the system. This applies at every level of racing! This forum is a very good place to begin.
Best of luck to you!
JP
Old 10-27-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Very insightful points, JP, relevant to anyone caught up seriously in this addiction, er sport!
Old 10-28-2009

Harsha & JP, as well as, Stevie D. offer sage advise.
I'll share with you a conversation from last years 24hrs. A semi pro driver/team manger said to a physician/driver at the 24
" If I knew how much seat time you get as a doc I would have studied a little harder in college !, You guys drive more than me."
It is extremely difficult to get payed to drive, even Joey Lagano had to bring $$$ with him to get the Home Depot ride at Gibbs.
Have a great day job that affords you the opportunity to showcase your talents as a driver. If you are at the 24 stop by the Farnbacher Pit
Good Luck
Ron

Last edited by Yarab; 10-28-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2009

Thanks guys, I will defiantly be at the 24 and all the test days prior to the 24. It is not my main focus in racing to be paid to drive. I would be absolutely blessed and the most thankful race car driver if I was paid to drive, but I want to have a great job to support my family when that happens. I will rely on my own income and other funding opportunities to get me on the track. Also my college major is marketing and I know experience is an essential tool in any kind of work force. I would be more than happy to intern or provide none paid assistance to any Rolex or Koni team to start learning the grounds about the series. Ron I know Farnbacher Loles has a Koni program now, and if there is any assistance need just let me know and I would be more than happy to help.
All the best,
Ryan
Old 10-28-2009
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

good thread, what great info, good luck Ryan, keep us posted, I hope to be at the 24 (camera, not helmet ) so maybe I'll see you there.
Old 10-30-2009
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

The money issue, at least in the beginning is a real killer!

Like many young guys, my original dream was to make it to F1 by the time I am 25 (they seem to get younger every year!). The few who can actually do this are very lucky.

Now I have revised that plan to just making good money right out of college (ambitious isn't it?) and then going racing on my own dime.

Sure, I am marketing savvy and I could put together a pretty effective sponsorship. But if it never happens, I would be perfectly content just being "That crazy 50 year-old guy who buys his own F1 cars and goes up to Monticello on the weekends."

I know that the pressure can be intense at times, but people keep telling me: racing really is something you can do your whole life...
Old 11-01-2009

Yes i love the fact that when i start I can do it as long as I am not able to drive. I wont stop driving until I am no long cleared medically to drive. Money is the biggest bump in my road because I believe that I have the natural talent and skills and i am a very quick learner. The first time i drove a kart, I could match and beat my friends times that owned the kart and has race for many years. My passion, love and determination about racing sets me apart from many drivers. I just need my chance.
Old 11-12-2009

I know this is going to be a huge tease for me, but let me know what you guys think. The intro to racing and mx5 cup intro are 419 dollars right now until December 31st. This would be a cheap way to get a good amount of seat time in a great car and coaching for a good price. I will not be able to run a 3 day racing school for another 2 years (when I graduate college). So what do you guys think? This will be a birthday present from all of my family if I do it, and the only real other driving opportunities I will get until my 3 day is karting. Sebring or Road Atlanta is not to far from Jacksonville so I think it will be very worth it.

Thanks for the help,

Ryan
Old 11-12-2009
Grand Master

Nothing wrong with having a taste Ryan... Can't go wrong with either one but I'd recommend the open wheel car as you'll feel the dynamics of the car and the affects your inputs have on it more clearly. Sounds like a super birthday gift from a very supportive family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona24 View Post
I know this is going to be a huge tease for me, but let me know what you guys think. The intro to racing and mx5 cup intro are 419 dollars right now until December 31st. This would be a cheap way to get a good amount of seat time in a great car and coaching for a good price. I will not be able to run a 3 day racing school for another 2 years (when I graduate college). So what do you guys think? This will be a birthday present from all of my family if I do it, and the only real other driving opportunities I will get until my 3 day is karting. Sebring or Road Atlanta is not to far from Jacksonville so I think it will be very worth it.

Thanks for the help,

Ryan
Old 11-12-2009

I will defiantly be doing the formula car. Does anyone know what the pace is like because I really want to do this but I don't want to putt around the track the whole time. I know there will be some getting used to but I want to use this opportunity to better my skills and learn a lot, so I can be at the top of my game during my 3 day.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 11-13-2009
Grand Master

Ryan... You might be over thinking this a bit. The speed will be appropriate for your skill level but it isn't about going fast at an intro or even at a 3-day. It's about learning vehicle dynamics and car control. You'll be plenty challenged by the exercises in both programs and you'll progress fastest by being responsive to instructions during the course. Focus on executing the exercises properly rather than going fast and you'll wind up going fast...

Understand your eagerness to have the intro prepare you for the 3 day and it will. Just stay in the moment, follow instructions and you'll both learn a lot and have a great time.

We'll all look forward to hearing your report of the experience.

Quote:
I will defiantly be doing the formula car. Does anyone know what the pace is like because I really want to do this but I don't want to putt around the track the whole time. I know there will be some getting used to but I want to use this opportunity to better my skills and learn a lot, so I can be at the top of my game during my 3 day.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 11-13-2009

Gallery Images: 14

Exactly as Pat said, concentrate on the techniques and procedures and the speed will naturally follow. Stay focused on your dream AND school and it will all fall into place.. Good luck !!!
Old 11-13-2009
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManwithanF1 View Post
Now I have revised that plan to just making good money right out of college (ambitious isn't it?) and then going racing on my own dime.
a great plan imo
Quote:

Thanks,

Ryan
You'll have fun and you'll def want more afterward (it is a tease). The classroom material is good, seat time is not what I would call "a lot", but sounds like a good deal at the discount price. I got one as a gift also and it really set the hook, my life hasn't been the same since . The laps are paced groups, I think they shuffle the drivers around after a session or two to sort out any slowpokes(?) One of my sessions was with a slow driver and it sucked, but I asked to change and it was much better after that. It goes by very quickly (time flies when having fun right?), I don't recall how many sessions there were but someone here can answer that. Is it still a half day gig?

If you mentioned and I missed sorry to repeat, what track are you considering?

Have fun, imo go open wheel

Last edited by cdh; 11-13-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
I don't recall how many sessions there were but someone here can answer that. Is it still a half day gig?

If you mentioned and I missed sorry to repeat, what track are you considering?

Have fun, imo go open wheel
It's three 20min sessions on track, plus the classroom time.

If you can, consider doing a Combo program. It's a combination of the 1Day Driving and Intro programs. You spend half the day learning car control and vehicle dynamics during the driving school exercises and classroom, and the other half of the day is spent on the race track.

Not only do you get all of the driving school curriculum, but you almost always get more track time. To (try to) ensure more track time, ask your CSR to book you into a Combo that has (at the time of your call, at least) very low enrollment. The fewer people in a Combo school, the less time you spend getting in and out of the cars between groups. In an Intro, there's only one group, so you're never out of the car once you get in, but it's set at only those three 20min sessions, whereas in the Combo you get half a day.
Old 11-14-2009

you've probably seen the really good sale going on right now, 30% off! we're taking advantage of it. we also are planning to use road atl, and sebring for our first 2 programs. road atl for the 3-day and sebring for the adv 2-day. the sebring track has about everything in one track, and i've heard it's a good one to use. we're also setting up an rfactor simulator for my son to learn tracks with one of the good steering wheel and seat pieces. you might want to check those out. you can learn braking points and blind turns and i've heard it's pretty realistic.

also, my son got a hard earned 2nd place finish at the inaugural race at a new motorsports park last night. 1/4 mile track, qualified 4th, raced up to second, got black flagged and sent to the back because his in-car radio stopped working, but raced back up to second by the finish. he had no chance of chasing down the winner, but we'll be happy with that second. patience and heads up racing looking ahead earned this podium finish, as there were too many crashes, and he made it through every one clean
Old 11-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusdad View Post
you've probably seen the really good sale going on right now, 30% off! we're taking advantage of it. we also are planning to use road atl, and sebring for our first 2 programs. road atl for the 3-day and sebring for the adv 2-day. the sebring track has about everything in one track, and i've heard it's a good one to use. we're also setting up an rfactor simulator for my son to learn tracks with one of the good steering wheel and seat pieces. you might want to check those out. you can learn braking points and blind turns and i've heard it's pretty realistic.

also, my son got a hard earned 2nd place finish at the inaugural race at a new motorsports park last night. 1/4 mile track, qualified 4th, raced up to second, got black flagged and sent to the back because his in-car radio stopped working, but raced back up to second by the finish. he had no chance of chasing down the winner, but we'll be happy with that second. patience and heads up racing looking ahead earned this podium finish, as there were too many crashes, and he made it through every one clean
That’s awesome. Good luck to your son I hope he does well. When will he be doing the 3 day.
Old 11-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Ryan... You might be over thinking this a bit. The speed will be appropriate for your skill level but it isn't about going fast at an intro or even at a 3-day. It's about learning vehicle dynamics and car control. You'll be plenty challenged by the exercises in both programs and you'll progress fastest by being responsive to instructions during the course. Focus on executing the exercises properly rather than going fast and you'll wind up going fast...

Understand your eagerness to have the intro prepare you for the 3 day and it will. Just stay in the moment, follow instructions and you'll both learn a lot and have a great time.

We'll all look forward to hearing your report of the experience.

Thanks guys. I find myself thinking too much about racing in my future and I need to take it one step at a time or I will not enjoy getting there. I will do the intro to racing at Sebring since it’s only like a 3-4 hour drive from my house. I will have a iRacing account soon also so I will be able to learn the track before I get there.
Old 11-14-2009

the road getting there is awesome.

late last night, after having to about take the whole car apart in tech (we passed!), i was wearily walking back to our trailer with an arm full of tools, his helmet and hans, dragging a jack, and carrying his trophy and i thought to myself there's no place I'd rather be.

and once i got back to the trailer (Angus beat me cause he drove his car back), i saw how Angus had been putting away tools and he came over and hugged me and thanked me for working so hard for him all day.

talk about priceless.

as for the 3-day, SB's insurance won't approve him yet, so we're trying again in about Feb. when we originally applied a couple of months ago, he was 4'7", but he's already grown another 2", so hopefully he'll be approved next time. they told me that hopefully he'll have a growth spurt soon, and to keep racing over the winter to pad his resume. so that's what we're doing, racing all we can. next week we'll be back down at Atlanta Motor Speedway racing, and we're testing karts all the time getting ready for the Florida Winter Tour.
Old 11-16-2009

That is so awesome. Sounds like an unbelievable amount of fun. I wish yall the best. Will yall race at 103rd track for the winter tour.
Old 11-17-2009
Grand Master

Angus is a lucky kid and you're a lucky dad. That's the nicest post I've read on this site. Wonderful stuff. Thanks for sharing it and we'll look forward to hearing the story unfold when Angus starts his journey with SB.
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusdad View Post
the road getting there is awesome.

late last night, after having to about take the whole car apart in tech (we passed!), i was wearily walking back to our trailer with an arm full of tools, his helmet and hans, dragging a jack, and carrying his trophy and i thought to myself there's no place I'd rather be.

and once i got back to the trailer (Angus beat me cause he drove his car back), i saw how Angus had been putting away tools and he came over and hugged me and thanked me for working so hard for him all day.

talk about priceless.
Old 11-17-2009

thanks Mr. Daly, angus can't wait until he gets the nod to get it going!

ryan - the Florida Winter Tour won't race Jax this year, it's be at Orlando, Palm Beach, and Ocala. We're not going all the way to PB unless angus wins Orlando. Too much racing, too little vacation time

you should head down to Ocala on March 20-21. watching the FWT racing might light a karting fire in you, if you don't have one yet. karting is GREAT racing! and you learn a ton about tuning. alot changes when you add suspension (in cars), but it's still reallly good learning.

we will be racing at Jax in april - may a couple of times at least. would love to meet you at a race!
Old 11-26-2009

Happy Thanks giving everyone. I got my seat today for the intro to racing Dec. 27th at Sebring, I got the last seat. I can’t wait for it and I can’t wait to tell everyone how it went.

Ryan
Old 11-28-2009
administrationistperson

eeeeehxcelent - fond memories of my 3 day at Sebring
Old 01-13-2010

Well guys sorry for letting you all know so late how the intro to racing school went. I had the most fun ever in the formula barber car. Everything came very easy to me. The car felt amazing and it was to me very easy to drive and very fun. I heal toe in my street car so that was very easy also. I was so amazed on how fun sequential transmissions are, I love them. I would recommend the intro to racing school to anyone even though it is a BIG tease, I learned a lot from the experience. I do iRace and I find myself running better laps after this experiance. I can not wait to get a chance to get back into one of these cars again, and it gives me alot of knowledge for a 3 day race school with skip barber in the future. Thanks for all of your support and I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

p.s I was also happy with the pace they let us go at. I would of been more than happy with more speed, but it was a good learning speed. I also have alot of pictures on my facebook, if anyone would like to see them let me know.

God Bless,

Ryan
Old 01-14-2010

awesome ryan! angus and i would love to see your facebook pix, can you be-friend angus hunt?
Old 01-16-2010
administrationistperson

Good stuff Ryan, glad to hear you enjoyed it so much thanks for the report, does your FB album privacy allow for everyone to see?
Old 02-05-2010

Anyone who would like to see my album just look me up on facebook. Ryan Wagoner
Old 02-06-2010

wow, i just join on here today so i'm new on here but not new at all on forums. I've taken the SB 3-day racing series at road atlanta and it was the best time i had in my life! i currently stopped racing or takin the 2-day advanced so i can go to college ( Penn state and i am from boca raton, florida). I am going to be transferring this summer back to florida so i can continue on my plans on becoming race car drive like ur-self. Im sacrificing alot in order for me to follow my dream, my passion. I'm right there with you on the money budget but as long as u stay in there and keep trying to get more seat time, u'll make something good out of it. These are some words given to me i would share. I'm gonna try to take sb 2 day advanced in sebring than hopefully save up enough money for a practice session which is mandatory for ur first race.

I hope everything u have planned works out, one step at a time is key. Best of luck
Old 02-07-2010
administrationistperson

Welcome aboard and good luck!
Old 02-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
Welcome aboard and good luck!
thank you!

Bookmark This Thread