Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 06-05-2012
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
Thank you Skip Barber

Has it really been that Long? Seventeen years?
I turned 40, seventeen years ago, and my extended family had just about "had it" with my driving every twisted road, as a road race course.
They thought I needed proper training and chipped in to send me away..... to Skip Barber. (They were quite sure I would be shown up)
After speaking with the nice Skip Rep. I passed on the intro days and made a date for the 3 day racing school. I wanted a proper introduction to a proper racing car. So.... off to Watkins Glen I went. Started out driving a school car in a parking lot and learned a ton in 20 seconds. Met a great group of folks with names like; Snyder, McGiuness, and Argotsinger and tried to digest all the information they gave me. (That McGiuness guy gave me his best stories and now I tell them as my own. )
I was hooked. But sure I was just going to be a better than average street driver. The instructors are very good at making you come back for more. Even more than just driving.... I wanted to go back and see "the guys" again.
I took 3 more, 2 day advanced racing classes and was about to sign up for another when Todd said "You should come out for a race weekend." I was sure I wasn't ready to race a real race. But after some cajoling, I did.
I have to thank my mentor Chris Brassard for taking me under his wing for my first race weekend. Even though he cast me to the wolves after I outqualified him !!!!! I was most proud to bring the car home in one piece, and not finish DFL.

While I haven't been able, financially, to race as much as I would like, I have thoroughly enjoyed my friends at the races I did attend. After having some health issues, I made it a mission to go Back and race with Skip again. (After all, If I hadn't needed a Physical to race at Lime Rock, The cancer would have had a few more months to fester) I can still remember the feeling of "coming Home" as I walked into the pits at Lime Rock 8 months later. Thanks Guys.
I am not the fasted guy on the track, but behind the full faced helmet is probably the biggest grin out there.

So, last fall, a friend came to me, and asked if I would go in with him on a race car purchase. I was pleased to find he had a line on a Caterham Super 7. Neat Car. And quite simple in execution. A sweet car that had only raced 23 time and went to the Nationals in 2002. Made the Purchase in September and Pete Smith from the SCCA granted me a licence based on my Skip experience. I was to race at Lime Rock in October, until my partner found the fence at turn 10 at Watkins Glen. He was attempting to get his SCCA licence reinstated after a few, non racing, years.
Yes, we Fixed the car!

Fast Forward to May 25th. Double SCCA weekend at The Glen. This Caterham is very similar to the R/T formula car in braking and gear selection. ( I do like the H Gate that SCCA required us to use in this car) I was wondering about my driving ability as compared to these regulars. My car was put in group 7 with only 3 E Prepared cars like mine. The other 14 were all Camaros, Mustangs and Corvettes (There were 2 Trans Am cars too. One had a DEI prepared 695hp engine. That baby just sang.)
This is where the "Thank You Skip Barber" part comes in. After passing the other E Prepared cars in my class; I thought
I am going to see how many of the big bore guys I can pass.
FInished 5th!!!! on the technical "long" course. 8th on the horsepower "short"course. Sweet! First in class.
As I went in to pick up the trophy, one of the SCCA observers asked "Where did you learn to drive?" Your passes were clean and your lines in the turns were consistant every lap. When are you coming back?"

My reason for posting this story is;
With all of the changes going on at Skip, Remember, It's the PEOPLE who made me go back every year. They taught me well and I will continue to come back to Skip as I can. Not all of us are going to be Professionals. Some of us are going racing because we love driving a racing car. Don't forget about us. I will never forget that Skip Barber taught me the "Craft" of driving. Looking back on this, I think of learning to drive a race car is like learning to ski. If you want to do it right..... get a good teacher.

Thanks Guys (and girls)
George Kline
Old 06-05-2012
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Thank you Skip Barber

Woo Hoo! Bravo George! Congratulations!!!

Doesn't surprise me you kicked butt. It's stories like yours that make it all worthwhile. You're one of the reasons instructors keep coming back.

Can't help smiling imagining you flying around the Glen in your Caterham making both Skippy and Top Gear faithful proud.

Please keep us posted and keep up the good work!
Old 06-05-2012
Diesel Demon

Way to go George ! We missed you at the Glen this year, but now we see why. Enjoy the 7, and above all, keep that smile going !

Viz
Old 06-05-2012
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Nice job George! Wish I knew so I could come out and see you run. Let us know ahead of time on your next outting. I am sure plenty of us would love to see you run the Cat!
Old 06-06-2012
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Fantastic George, so happy for you! Well done, great drive, thanks for sharing the story
Old 06-06-2012
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Really eloquent, George. Good driving skills well-learned lead to good results and are visible from outside the car. I know how much fun you had! I miss being around the track with you!

Harsha
Old 06-08-2012
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 5

Great story! I hope to have a story something like yours one day.
Old 06-09-2012
red mist junkie

Gallery Images: 2

Hey Guys
Don't you Worry.

I'll be back. I can never get enough of you guys beating the "carap" out of me on the track.

But OH what fun it is.

George

Bookmark This Thread