Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 11-07-2006
Burger Flipper #2
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 4
VIR 13hr

So didn't a few Juicy racers run a few Miata's at VIR's 13hr this past weekend? If so where are the stories and results?

Last edited by dalyduo; 11-07-2006 at 10:14 PM. Reason: corrected the smillie insertion
Old 11-08-2006
Selfish Bastard
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: VIR 13hr

Craige & Hammer P7,
... Jim fill the boys in!

Last edited by dalyduo; 11-08-2006 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Changed Carige to Craige
Old 11-08-2006
Skippy Girl

Gallery Images: 1

I'm working on posting some pictures. It was a GREAT weekend, but I'll give the guys a chance to do a write up.

- At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan
Old 11-09-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

A huge formation of Miata's showed up for the Charge of the Headlight Brigade - 13 hour enduro at VIR last week but apparently whatever happens in VIR stays in VIR because everyone who raced there now has amnesia.

Rather than let the facts get in the way of a good story, thought we'd put up some Miata shots and let the story write itself...

Zoom Zoom
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_0546.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1549   Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_0556.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1550   Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_0566.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1551   Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_0574.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1552  

Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_0581.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1553   Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_0590.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1554  
Old 11-09-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Sorry guys, I have been on the road, in and out of school interviews for Angus, and have had dinners after work - basically away from the computer. I also have not figured out how to post on a Blackberry!!!

Short version with more to come later is this:

TJR drivers, Mayes & MJAMOK (team 1) , Jimmy Locke & Dario (team 2) , and Bill Hammer and I (team 3) raced the SCCA 13 hr at VIR last weekend in the SM (Miata) class. 81 cars and we finished 7th, 8th, and 9th in class, had an absolute blast, and thanked SKip Barber (at least I did!) 999 times over the course of 300+ laps for allowing us to hop into a car that most of us have never driven and to race competitively during the day and night. I was playing Bob Zeigel to myself (and my competitors) on the track the entire race. You do not know how much you learn at Skip Barber until you race different cars with thsoe who have not gone to Skippy School. You recognise your mistakes and try to figure out the way to fix them. What a ball.

We drove in the dirt, in the grass, even on the track a few times, and worked our way up the field from pretty ugly night qualifying positions (with the exception of Jimmy and Dario who schooled us in that regard). Some of us knew how to race in traffic and with fenders and and some of us learned how to do it (me) on the track. Some of us needed to learn to draft better (bump and otherwise) in these cars vs. the Skippy cars, and be much more aggressive passing, blocking, and position taking. These cars have so much drag vs. the Skippy cars, that you needed to really learn how to "race" to get ahead. The important thing is that some had that skill and others learned it but we all got it by the end! My fastest times I think were in the dark after I figured out the dive bombing technique, planning Oak Tree exit and blocking strategies from turn 10, and setting up the front straight passes from the top of Hog Pen in traffic with 5 other cars. I had to learn how to "race" much better to do well. Also understanding the value of intimidating cars to give way with your lights did not hurt!

I think we represented Team Juicy well. We brought all three cars back in one piece and were one of the faster teams once you stripped out the "non spec" Spec Miatas! We had a blast and can not wait to do more of these next year.

More later (Bill Hammmer said he would provide a very detailed post), with pics to come.

Thank you Skip Barber!!!
Old 11-09-2006
Skippy Girl

It all started earlier this year when Michael and Dick set out to do a follow up race to last years Watkins Glen Miata adventure. We looked at the line up of SCCA races all over the country. The 13 hour Charge of the Headlight Brigade was a clear winner as it fit all of their criteria. It was an Eastern/Southern event, a track everyone had driven, cars and a team they were familiar with and the NEW challenge of an extended endurance race.

Invitations were extended to everyone who participated in last years Miata race at the Glen and a few others who had expressed interest in getting involved in an event of this magnitude. For many of the invitees, the scheduling made it difficult to participate, but 6 guys jumped in with both feet. The original plan was to rent two cars with three drivers per car. This would be 4 hours +/- for each driver, but these guys are hardcore and added a third car to the Team Juicy Miata stable. The Ironmen went on to drive 6+ hours each on the grueling 3.7mi. track in near freezing conditions throughout the day and night.

The teams were assigned to drivers of similar size to allow for easy driver changes. Cioti/Locke, Auriemma/Mayes, and the two new guys to Miatas Hammer/Craige rounded out the line up. The night driving at VIR would be new to all of them, and with only a 45min. qualifying on Friday night it was trial by fire. The two man teams went into qualifying with several goals that reminded us all how different this race was going to be compared to the Skippy sprint races we are all accustomed to. David Woodel, crew chief and owner of the team, felt it was important to work on pitting and driver changes. David has had many winning endurance teams under his charge, and he knew a solid pit strategy would be vital if we were to finish well. Our cars all earned solid spots for the start, and our drivers had a good understanding of the difficulty of driving that would be required in the last few hours of Saturdays race.

I wish I could give all of the details of the race on Saturday, but alas someone had to hold down the fort. I spent most of my time back at the Team Juicy compound cooking for my team. I would get details from the guys as they returned from their stints to grab a bite to eat and warm up in the heated tent and RV. It was an awesome time and I want to thank everyone for participating. A special thanks to Martin Birkmann for making the trip down as a back-up driver should one of the cars have needed him. Martin was a great addition for strategy and support. Also, a huge THANK You to my cousin Caren Goode who came down to give me a hand in the kitchen and acted as team photographer. She took some great shots, and is currently working on putting a slideshow together for us. Rem, Bob, and Rick Mayes along with Rick’s two sons flew in to cheer on John and the rest of the gang. Thanks to the Mayes family singers for adding a cheering section for the team.

The Team Juicy Miata final score: Hammer/Craige in P1 (7th in class), Cioti/Locke P2 (8th in class), and finishing out the podium Mayes/Auriemma P3 (9th in class). The “Bonehead of the Weekend” award went to John Mayes and was presented to him by Bob, for exact reasons we are not sure, but it had something to do with John pushing Jimmy in from Oak Tree when JL’s car ran out of fuel. By helping out Team Cioti/Locke on that lap (without letting them go a lap down before pushing them into the pits) John lost the P2 spot to his Juicy competitors.

Last edited by JuicyGirl; 11-09-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2006
WillowCross Racing
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Congratulations Dudes!
This is information most fine indeed!
Old 11-15-2006

Gallery Images: 122

Gee that doesn't look like any fun at all.....really i am not jealous at all.......
Old 11-18-2006
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsutherland
Gee that doesn't look like any fun at all.....really i am not jealous at all.......
Mr. Obvious says "Can you say sarcasm?"

Totally awesome guys! I loved watching the vid from last year.
Old 11-18-2006
Skippy Girl

Thank Doug for the video from last year. He did a great job as did our newbie racers Jim Craige and Bill Hammer
The weekend was a blast jump in next year!!!!

Old 11-19-2006
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only

Doug, great job as usual! Didn't mean to leave you out.

Bookmark This Thread