Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 08-27-2007
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Two Day School Advice/Help

So I'm a bit less worried than I was going into the 3 day, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a general feel for what the 2 day school will be like (The brochures give a lot less info on the 2 day than the 3). Also, if someone could explain how the transmission works on the RT 2000, that would be great. (Having gotten used to double clutching, I now wish that I could continue to use it, because it feels pretty cool when you do it just right and fast).

Thanks again!
Old 08-27-2007
Servant of The Man
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: Two Day School Advice/Help

I'm much less of an expert than many others here, but this one I think I can answer from personal experience... The 2 day school will be much more focused on lapping time and feedback than the 3 day. My 2 day (at lime rock park) consisted of one session on the autox course in the morning of the first day and the rest of the time spent on the track lapping. The emphasis is on taking the skills and thought processes you started developing in your 3 day and extending them further ahead. Instead of thinking one corner ahead, the instructors were trying to get us to think a couple of corners ahead so everything would seem to be coming at us slower. Basically, its an opportunity to further work on your fundamental skills while having instructors push you with constructive criticism. Like the 3 day, this is a relatively low pressure environment for you to develop your skills in a non-race environment.

As for the transmission on the RT2000, you're going to love it! Downshifting consists of the following process: brake, clutch in, push the shifter down one gear, blip (still using your right foot for both brake and throttle blip), clutch out, repeat if necessary, continue racing. Basically, you're cutting out the first part of the "double" part of double clutching. The key to this is that the transmission lever doesn't have different positions... Tap forward to go down a gear (4th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd, etc) and pull back to go up a gear (2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, etc.). The upshift can be done one of two ways. 1. Pre-load (pull back gently on the shifter) and then lift slightly off the accelerator. The transmission should shift almost instantly into the next gear when you lift off the throttle and release the load on the transmission. This way is theoretically quicker, but I found it more difficult than the second way.
2. Keep a decent eye on the tachometer (never a bad idea in the first place) and anticipate the shift point and lift a quarter to half way off the throttle while simultaneously pulling the shifter solidly back for the next gear at the appropriate time. Needless to say, as soon as you feel the transmission shift (a fraction of a second) get back on the throttle. This method worked best for me as I found that it was much more foolproof and only marginally slower than the other method.
Beyond that, have fun... Although the 2 day is not a race weekend, I had a great time being pushed by/pushing the other students in my session. No one likes being passed on track and getting the
Anyone else on this forum with more experience, feel free to correct me... I just couldn't help myself; the racing bug has bitten me and I can't help acting like an expert.
Old 08-27-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by So&so
So I'm a bit less worried than I was going into the 3 day, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a general feel for what the 2 day school will be like (The brochures give a lot less info on the 2 day than the 3). Also, if someone could explain how the transmission works on the RT 2000, that would be great. (Having gotten used to double clutching, I now wish that I could continue to use it, because it feels pretty cool when you do it just right and fast).

Thanks again!
Robby pretty much covered the shift mechanics. Works just like a motorcycle gearbox, really. It is possible to lift the throttle too little and have the gearbox remain in the lower gear. Make real sure that you don't suffer brain fade, revert to the 4-speed "H" gearshift pattern and do an unintentional WOT 2-to-1 downshft when you meant to do a 2-3 upshift.
Old 08-27-2007

Gallery Images: 36

Before my 2-Day school, I had a lot of questions too, and Kasey Kuhlman was kind enough to give me some sage advice that I printed and which has remained on my desk. Here are some excerpts:

"In this class, you get to practice passing and being passed (by an instructor) under heavy braking as you approach turn-in. My suggestion is to focus on each exercise as you do them and try to apply the instructions they give you. Don't look at it as a 2-Day school, but rather, when it is over you will have completed 2 full days worth of valuable exercises and track time."

"Just enjoy the experience, put a couple of solid days of seat time under your belt and consider it a chance to build a solid base of learning. You are learning how to race."

"You need to build up to speed. There will be no lap timing in this school. That is in your best interest, trust me. Nothing worse than pulling into pit lane full of euphoria and enthusiasm only to realize that you are 10 secs off the pace. Excellent performance and full value received from this class could not be measured by a watch. This is about driving fundamentals, learning the car, learning how to work up a track and finding the fastest line, and operating in traffic."

"If you don't have a great time, you are doing it wrong! My practice is to remind myself that 'I can never be farther along in racing than I actually am.' Hanging around with experienced Skippy guys and on TJR.com can make you anxious and expecting more than you can really do. Don't fall into the trap. Do your 'rookie' time right and it will serve you very well. Everyone respects what you are experiencing and going through during this exciting time and will be very helpful."

This was all great advice to me then, and two years later I still read that advice on occasion. Have fun!
Old 08-27-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Kasey said all that? You mean our Kasey? Kasey Kuhlman. Kasey, you know, Jager dude.

Wow. I thought I was serious. That's mountaintop guru get-out-of-your-own-way Yoda stuff.

That's it. The real deal. Memorize it. Do it. All the time.

No wonder he's kicking my ass.

Last edited by Slowhands; 08-27-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-27-2007

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie
..."In this class, you get to practice passing and being passed (by an instructor) under heavy braking as you approach turn-in"...
Yeah, my personal epigenesis occured at my SECOND Two-Day (slow learner! ) when I realized that it was not necessary demon-trail-brake to the apex of every slow corner. It was far more stable, and safer for all involved, to get all of the braking and down shifts out of the way early, then get back to throttle to settle the rear end at turn-in. Fewer TTO spins. It also sets you up for a classic cross-under re-overtaking manuver of the car that just passed you on the inside line. Slow in, fast out.
Old 08-27-2007
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

This is an older post by instructor, moderator and all around good guy Gerardo Bobo Bonilla, read this, some good info on driving the R/T 2000.

Old Thread Here

Here's another ADV 2 Day thread.

And another

And another

Have fun!
Old 08-27-2007
administrationistperson

Shifting the sequential box is simple, you'll get it in a few laps, really, no sweat.
Old 08-27-2007
administrationistperson

If possible, try a different track for your 2 Day Adv.
Old 08-28-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
If possible, try a different track for your 2 Day Adv.
Good advice. I second that.

Bookmark This Thread