Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 08-15-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8
Hmmm, Laguna Seca 9/22???

Looks like I'm going to find myself in the Carmel, CA area Sept 19-23 and there is an open one-day combo formula car/ MX5 school on Thursday that week. I figure seat time is seat time. If nothing else, I have never driven one of the Mazdas. Any instructor comments on what the program is for the one-day? Is it a fulll day or are we done by noon or so?
Old 08-15-2011
Pitlane Sasquatch
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: Hmmm, Laguna Seca 9/22???

Think in terms of a full day Super Intro in both cars with a nice lunch included.
Generally populated by the one & done bucket list crowd diverted from a proper 3-day by the price point...
Depending on the gene pool can devolve into some near full-on lead follow lapping.
Population to Equipment ratio dictates seat time. Program is a FULL day. Your mileage may vary...
If it fits the fun budget, I say go for it!
SD
Old 08-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieDe View Post
Think in terms of a full day Super Intro in both cars with a nice lunch included.
Generally populated by the one & done bucket list crowd diverted from a proper 3-day by the price point...
Depending on the gene pool can devolve into some near full-on lead follow lapping.
Population to Equipment ratio dictates seat time. Program is a FULL day. Your mileage may vary...
If it fits the fun budget, I say go for it!
SD
Thanks Stevie! This is exactly the coincident convergence of opportunity & availablity. I did the 3DRS several years ago (VIR short course - the Duck & Duke Show) and have done the 2DADV school TWICE at Laguna. It occured to me that unless they have already been changed out, this could also be a last chance to drive one of the 4-speed school cars before extinction.
Old 08-15-2011
Pitlane Sasquatch
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Too late on the H-pattern school car front.
But one should never pass on opportunity to dip into Skip's toy box at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca...
Life is short.
SD
Old 08-15-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso View Post
It occured to me that unless they have already been changed out, this could also be a last chance to drive one of the 4-speed school cars before extinction.
Mike, not knowing it's been almost 2 years since the school cars were sent to the boneyard means it has been way too long since you were at a Skippy event. Don't go looking for saber-tooth tigers on your next safari either.
Old 08-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieDe View Post
Too late on the H-pattern school car front.
But one should never pass on opportunity to dip into Skip's toy box at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca...
Life is short.
SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
Mike, not knowing it's been almost 2 years since the school cars were sent to the boneyard means it has been way too long since you were at a Skippy event. Don't go looking for saber-tooth tigers on your next safari either.

Too true on both counts... I slipped to the two-wheeled dark side of the Skippy toy box July last summer, the late, lamented Superbike school, also at Laguna. I only fell to that siren's song because the July event was at Road Atlanta instead of Elkhart Lake.

I thought the 4-speeds were "on the list" for replacement, but didn't know the corpse was cold. One of my neighbors bought one of the retired SBR gearboxes for his formula Ford. He said they had 26 available.
Old 08-15-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

The MX-5's have new Penske shocks that are reportedly much better than the stock units. I've not driven them but those that have say it's a night and day improvement. Reduced body roll and easier to point. Feels more like a race car.
Old 08-15-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
The MX-5's have new Penske shocks that are reportedly much better than the stock units. I've not driven them but those that have say it's a night and day improvement. Reduced body roll and easier to point. Feels more like a race car.
NOW I know why the old ones handled similar to my 59 Turner.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 08-16-2011

Well CRAP. LTFR a calendar, Spoelker. School is in October, not September. nevermind...

Bookmark This Thread