Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 05-14-2009
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
To Tip, or not to Tip, tis my question

OK, so I recently completed a 3 day course in Laguna, and felt the instructors were unbelievable! They are obviously not only passionate about this sport, but also passionate about teaching the art and science of racing to knuckleheads like me. This passion is a critical component to being a great teacher, and I learned a ton! So as the class was ending, I felt compelled to give them this feedback, and also compelled to tip them (cash, gifts, etc.). However i refrained from tipping for fear of insulting them. (I guess you can also make this a two part question, and consider all the people behind the scenes that make it possible (mechanics, etc), so if you do tip, where do you draw the line? )

Anywho, so what is the right thing to do here, is it common to tip, or would it be considered an insult?

Last edited by Bkieser; 05-14-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2009
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Re: To Tip, or not to Tip, tis my question

at first schools I tipped mechs cash and took instructor to dinner...he never did pick up the tab though
Old 05-15-2009
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 14

SSSiiidddd...!!!! SSSiiidddd..... !!!! get out here.. u got some 'splainin to do... hhahhaaa
Old 05-15-2009
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

What's the difference between a Skip Barber instructor and a large, pepperoni......oh never mind.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 05-15-2009
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 14

Pepperoni!!????!!?? You guys can afford pepperoni now...??? It's usually just cheese... Wooo now.. might wanna keep that to yourself..
Old 05-16-2009
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

First we are pleased you had a great time in the 3 Day! A tremendous effort goes into every program much of which is behind the scenes. The actual "product" comes out at the track where the instructors and mechanics have the opportunity to share in the experience that has defined the Skip Barber Racing School for decades! Most LOVE what they do and are pleased to be able to do it. Anyone that expresses appreciation is never in the wrong, here. As an instructor since 1988 I am unaware of anyone that would be insulted by your saying "great job" by passing along a few bills. Dinner is great and we all love that part of the comraderie that developes, but nothings says thank you like a long wheel base ten.

Good question. Thank you for asking. It is OK.
JP
Old 05-17-2009
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pace View Post
First we are pleased you had a great time in the 3 Day! A tremendous effort goes into every program much of which is behind the scenes. The actual "product" comes out at the track where the instructors and mechanics have the opportunity to share in the experience that has defined the Skip Barber Racing School for decades! Most LOVE what they do and are pleased to be able to do it. Anyone that expresses appreciation is never in the wrong, here. As an instructor since 1988 I am unaware of anyone that would be insulted by your saying "great job" by passing along a few bills. Dinner is great and we all love that part of the comraderie that developes, but nothings says thank you like a long wheel base ten.

Good question. Thank you for asking. It is OK.
JP
Thank you for the detailed reply JP, that was the answer I was hoping for, much appreciated! (I am sending a belated thank you note and $ as we speak).
Old 05-18-2009
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pace View Post
...As an instructor since 1988 I am unaware of anyone that would be insulted by your saying "great job" by passing along a few bills. Dinner is great and we all love that part of the comraderie that developes, but nothings says thank you like a long wheel base ten. JP
dang JP, I guess I gotta do another clinic so I can set things straight....LWB Ten!!

Tags
instructors , tip

Bookmark This Thread