Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 05-29-2009
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
Watkins Glen 2009

I just HAD to start this post and thank the people who made this weekend such a great time.
I want to thank the whole Skip crew; instructors and mechanics (technicians) and hospitaliy Equally. As I came in on Wednesday, they instantly made me feel as though I'd never been away. I have to say, the feedback from you guys was better than ever. Maybe I was just more aware of my mistakes. But I couldn't get away with anything. You caught all of my miscues accuratly.
This was a big weekend for my possie. They may think I'm crazy for doing this, but being there made them understand a little.
The best part of the whold affair was putting faces to the names of the drivers and their possies. Pat, Chris, Gary,Reid,Harsha, and all the usual suspects made for a great time. Doug, you deserve special mention as THE social director of the weekend. Skip should put you on his payroll.
As for the racing, I had a blast. I didn't deserve a podium finish. I inherited it. I felt so bad for Paul (last lap, last corner) but he said that was racing and a Podium is Special. It sure is! Mr Subject, I salute you. You are one fine representative of Skip Barber's drivers...... Hooray for the Old Guys!
A special thanks to Terry Earwood....(He took my youngest daughter out for a couple of laps of WGI) She came back from that ride stoked! "I have created another Monster!" Although she said you could have "Gone a Little FASTER!"

Thanks to All. It was a GREAT Weekend. Such a nice escape from Being in the domestic retail Auto Business. Back to the business of survival.

SSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE YAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ps Gerardo..... Still waiting to experience hot laps in the Yaris! I'll bet you could make that car sing!
Old 05-29-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69
Re: Watkins Glen 2009

George--

I enjoyed finally getting to meet you as well. You turned out to be a lot younger than I expected! Congrats on a really successful weekend. I could see you were having a great time. Come back soon, we need you out there. I know times are tough, but life is more than about survival. It's things like being together with family and good friends, and driving a race car at the Glen that make the struggle worthwhile. Hopefully the addiction got deep enough under your skin that you won't be able to help yourself.

- Harsha
Old 05-29-2009
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

George,
You're one of the reasons we love going to the track. You had that smile on your face before you got in the car and it never dimmed the whole weekend. So glad you were there and don't you dare diminish what you did by calling it inherited. You earned that podium and we're glad you did.

Having said that, the only guy to rival your smile all weekend was Mr. Subject. Even after big time bouncing himself off the turn 11 wall he came back with his smile beaming and a shoulder shrug that said "Hey... That's Racin'!" He knew how he did himself in and won't do it again... End of story. Don't know if any of us are having more fun than Paul and his lovely wife.

George you and Gary V. came through health issues this year and it meant the world to have you both at WGI doing battle again. Gary had a great week. So good to see him recording feedback again and going fast in the racecar.

As you probably know, Kelly, Jason and Nick Nick did a special kindness for a guy named Bob who's been battling cancer for 17 years (since the age of 30) and decided he'd had enough treatment and wanted to spend whatever time he had left with hair, un-drugged and clicking a few items off his wish list. That included seat time with Skip Barber so Jason gave him hot laps in the MX-5 and then rode with him as Bob drove hot laps in the MX-5, followed by a lead follow in the RT's. Bob's family and friends brought signs and waved and cheered loudly for him each time he went by as Bob drove the wheels off both cars. There wasn't a dry eye to be had as Nick Nick's voice echoed that familiar phrase throughout the paddock. "Bob has just enjoyed the greatest thrill in motor racing... He's going out a boy... And he's coming back a Happy Boy!" Bob's face showed both the ravages of his condition and the joy of achieving a life long dream of going to that special place that can only be achieved in a race car. Hats off to Kelly, Jason, Nick and Bob.

We take so much for granted and seeing that special moment put everything in perspective. Best and most touching moment of the weekend.

So George, we celebrate your health and success at Watkins Glen and give thanks for the abundance all of us have to race and share good times together going forward.

Here's a shot of Jason and Bob after their seat time.
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	WGI May 2009 185.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	3242  
Old 05-30-2009
red mist junkie

Gallery Images: 2

I was sitting in my car, waiting for the group 4 race to start when they came into the pits. This was a heartwarming scene. The pure joy on Bob's face was palatable from my viewpoint.

As for Mr Subject's bubbly personality; I was bowled over by his enthusiasm. That man was the Definition of Joy in a racecar! He also knows where his priorities are when the first thing he wanted to communicate after his shunt was "Tell my wife I'm OK"

One quick note....The London Broil was a little on the salty side....better luck next year Seneca Lodge!
Old 05-30-2009
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE View Post
I was sitting in my car, waiting for the group 4 race to start when they came into the pits. This was a heartwarming scene. The pure joy on Bob's face was palatable from my viewpoint.

As for Mr Subject's bubbly personality; I was bowled over by his enthusiasm. That man was the Definition of Joy in a racecar! He also knows where his priorities are when the first thing he wanted to communicate after his shunt was "Tell my wife I'm OK"

One quick note....The London Broil was a little on the salty side....better luck next year Seneca Lodge!
I missed the ride-along event -- I think we were strapping into cars at that point. But thank you all for sharing the story with me. Shows you how much love there is in every aspect of this crazy thing we do. Which, of course, is the real reason we all do it.

Re Mr Subject: you will not find a better example of positive attitude and enthusiasm anywhere. They should make a motivational poster featuring him. Oh, Doug-- banquet vid...

Re the London Broil-- I was warned away from it. But unfortunately the salt excess extended to the Beef Stroganoff, which was at that point untested. Don't know what got into the guys in the kitchen. Especially since the prime rib was excellent as usual.
Old 05-30-2009
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
I missed the ride-along event -- I think we were strapping into cars at that point. But thank you all for sharing the story with me. Shows you how much love there is in every aspect of this crazy thing we do. Which, of course, is the real reason we all do it.
I have the return to pits and post driving video, but SB has first dibs, will link here when it's on their site, nice thing they did, good karma
Old 06-02-2009
administrationistperson

Videos Re: Watkins Glen 2009

Here is the "Go Bob!" video from WGI, posted with permission, thanks Todd & Kelly - very nice thing done by Skip Barber

Go Bob - 2:50
Old 06-02-2009
G-force junkie

Wonderful. The look on his face says it all. Amazing the power of a race car to those who understand it. A pure and crystalline moment. A lesson to us all to look upon each moment we have in the same way.

Great work, Doug.
Old 06-02-2009
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

A wonderful weekend seeing all of you again and the first time at the Glen that I saw more than walls all around me... the lap times showed it as well! And to all the Skippy guys..wow! What an effort!

As for Mr Subject...as the second Canidiot (a very Minor role at that) I do have to thank him for getting me into following my passion and becoming part of the "crowd" ...he is shall we say more outgoing than some....and a party is always not far away. He had me worried as I sat at the entry to 11 under the red flag with many emotions going thru my small brain and the video (on a separate post) is amazing. Thanks Paul my good friend for showing me the way...other than #11 that is.....

Glenn
Old 06-02-2009

Gallery Images: 1

Great story DD..Kelly, Jason and Nick Nic, you guys are great !!!!
Old 06-09-2009

Gallery Images: 6

George it was real pleasure to meet you, you are a class act. As for the various comments about me - I am just happy to be at the race track and have the opportunity to spend time with my racing friends and enjoying driving at some of the best tracks in North America . And to my good friend Rowser, the next time we are at the Glen, I will follow your line through 11, promise!!
Old 06-09-2009
administrationistperson

goes for you as well GT, you def spark a race weekend, great seeing you again...

Tags
watkins glen , wgi

Bookmark This Thread