Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 09-29-2009
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

3-day school for my son

signed my 11 year old up for the 3 day school in november in atl! we've been looking forward to starting Skip Barber for the last couple of years. he's got the 'going faster' book and dvd which he's been studying for a while. any other advice for him heading into this? our plans are to then take the 2 day in late winter, and then lapping all spring and summer, and then regional racing hopefully next fall if they let him.
Old 09-29-2009
Big Dick
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: 3-day school for my son

You might go to another thread and find Michael Edwards (look under "Atlantic Series Heats Up") and send him your question in a private message. Mike's son John came out of karts and went through SBRS at about your son's age, and is now a title contender in Atlantics.
Old 09-29-2009

thanks, i'll look for him!
Old 09-29-2009
Pitlane Sasquatch
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Sounds like Angus is one lucky young dude...
Attending a 3-day school is quite an occasion for kids and childish adults as well.

There have been several threads on this site about maximizing the 3-day experience and most center around keeping an open mind and realistic expectations.

The one aspect that I routinely see frustrating some young participants is the proper use of the clutch and shifting...

If there was someway you could get him some 'stick-shift time' before he sits in a race car it would be a huge help.
Just being able to get the clutch out and lurch the vehicle into motion without killing the engine or reducing the clutch to dust/smoke would ease his his transition into cars and make the entire school more beneficial...

My .02
SD
Old 09-29-2009
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Is he going to do MX5 or Formula cars? As Stevie De said, make sure he's driving a stick shift around in a parking lot somewhere. That WILL be his biggest stunt in growth right there. Understanding how to time the gas/clutch is a great thing to know when entering the school. I look forward to meeting you in Atlanta... Keith W
Old 09-29-2009

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusdad View Post
signed my 11 year old up for the 3 day school in november in atl! we've been looking forward to starting Skip Barber for the last couple of years. he's got the 'going faster' book and dvd which he's been studying for a while. any other advice for him heading into this? our plans are to then take the 2 day in late winter, and then lapping all spring and summer, and then regional racing hopefully next fall if they let him.
Yikes! Eleven! Please tell me he's big for his age - 5'-10", about 190 lbs? At least he won't contribute to the crowd at the bar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar92 View Post
Is he going to do MX5 or Formula cars? ... Keith W
Seriously, can he see over the dash in a MX-5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieDe View Post
...and most center around keeping an open mind and realistic expectations.

The one aspect that I routinely see frustrating some young participants is the proper use of the clutch and shifting...
And many 50 year olds who should know better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieDe View Post
My .02
SD
Note that .02 in Stevie De Skippy script is about $1,000 in USD at the current exchange rates...
Old 09-30-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso View Post
Seriously, can he see over the dash in a MX-5?
One of my favorite memories of my first Car Control Clinic will always be seeing a 13-year-old Julia Landauer (who was extremely petite and intensely lovely) wedged into a Viper with tons of seat foam, cushions, and a major pedal adjustment (can't remember if there were any blocks involved). Wish I had taken a picture, that was such a great image-- this tiny little girl wheeling the growling beast around the Lime Rock autocross.
Old 10-01-2009

thanks for all the info! we're heading for formula cars. he's a small 11 year old, only 4'7". i was concerned about him being big enough, but visited SB at road atlanta, and the instructor told me he will be fine. he told me they would make him a seat. also, he told me i could bring angus up there before the school to give him some shifting experience beforehand.

angus comes from motocross and has a working knowledge of shifting, clutching, etc on motocross bikes. he totally gets downshifting, etc in theory coming from that, and i was assuming that would transfer readily. am i thinking correctly? he was really good at shifting, feathering the clutch, etc, and it took him about 30 minutes to master it on a motorcycle at age 8. that is my biggest worry entering the class.

i know he's young, and some have not been supportive of his progress, but the ones who've worked with him have been very supportive. he started racing when he was 4 in mx, factory sponsored at 8, switched to karting at 9 due to so many injuries, and added bandoleros last year. won in everything. i had parents that pushed me in sports, and i can assure you, though, that angus' drive in racing comes totally from him, not me as i don't want to be one of those parents. our deal is i will work only as hard as he does. he's been totally focused on getting to SB, and preparing himself to enter the karting shootout.

i got some really good advice recently from this board to stay out of the way and to even stay at home and send my wife with him to the school. i don't think i can remove myself that much from it, but i will totally stay out of the way at SB, and i appreciated the reminder to back off and let the instructors handle angus. we've been fortunate to have had alot of individual coaching over the years, and so both of us are used to that.

whoever angus meets, he questions them if they are aware of the new USF1 team. he's convinced that's his future.
Old 10-01-2009
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

YES on formula car school!! If nothing else it will be an amazing experience. The formula school car uses a basic H pattern non-synchro box. Stevie is right, perfecting it is one of the bigger challenges at the 3 day. Any manual gearbox driving he can do beforehand would probably help (stick, not paddles ). At my 3 day there was one student with zero manual box experience. It made it more difficult for him but he managed. Took him longer to get the rhythm of proper crash box shifting.

Remember - HAVE FUN - the instructors are a great bunch and help in this regard, good luck.
Old 10-01-2009

one help for him is that i was told he would probably get to use the national cars with the seq. gearbox to remove the need for double clutching we had read about. as i understood it, those cars are already in atlanta for petit lemans and would be there in november. we're hoping for that.
Old 10-01-2009
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusdad View Post
one help for him is that i was told he would probably get to use the national cars with the seq. gearbox to remove the need for double clutching we had read about. as i understood it, those cars are already in atlanta for petit lemans and would be there in november. we're hoping for that.
Need an instructor to answer that one. Personally I really loved learning the proper use of a crash box. Getting it right was very rewarding!

I did a quick scan for old threads on the 3 day racing -

Formula or MX-5?
http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=2637

Before the school
http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=2427

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=2386

Shifting
http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=2801

Grads - testimonials
http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=2474

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=2044

There are many more, glad you found the forums, let us know if he will be in the Race Series car or the school car. It would surprise me if they give him the race series car, but things are changing all the time. Learning the sequential takes about 2 laps, very easy.

cdh
Old 10-01-2009

wow - thanks a ton! i'll study all that info.
Old 10-01-2009
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
YES on formula car school!! If nothing else it will be an amazing experience. The formula school car uses a basic H pattern non-synchro box. Stevie is right, perfecting it is one of the bigger challenges at the 3 day. Any manual gearbox driving he can do beforehand would probably help (stick, not paddles ). At my 3 day there was one student with zero manual box experience. It made it more difficult for him but he managed. Took him longer to get the rhythm of proper crash box shifting.
Quote:
Need an instructor to answer that one. Personally I really loved learning the proper use of a crash box. Getting it right was very rewarding!
Doug, I think they are phasing out the school cars and using the RTs for the schools. Not sure how far along they are with it, but I know the mechanics were really distressed with the carnage on Sunday at RA (esp National) because they had a certain number of cars they had to turn around Sun night for a fully subscribed 3-day starting the next day. The plan I believe is complete decommissioning of the school car fleet, but SB employee would know for sure.
Old 10-01-2009
administrationistperson

well that would 'splain it - glad I got to learn in the school car, I like 'em
Old 10-01-2009
G-force junkie

Quote:
well that would 'splain it - glad I got to learn in the school car, I like 'em
Yeah, I'd like to drive one again before they get crushed.
Old 10-01-2009

Gallery Images: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
Yeah, I'd like to drive one again before they get crushed.

Doubt, they'll be any crushing involved, just the normal swap overs made to make them full R/T's... but we get your drift..
Hope the Griests don't hear the talking about the possiblity of the school cars coming to an end....
Old 10-02-2009
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Western Re: 3-day school for my son

Not to grab the thread.... but telling the Griests that the old cars are all going to converted.... not a job for the weak of heart,,,
Old 10-02-2009

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
Not to grab the thread.... but telling the Griests that the old cars are all going to converted.... not a job for the weak of heart,,,
I am surprised that Jim Pace has not chimed in on this one, but perhaps he is still shaking his head and grimacing too much.
Old 10-13-2009
red mist junkie

Gallery Images: 2

I want one of the school cars!!! After driving the R/T, I want one even more! The slip angle and tossability make lapping so much fun! Mastering the Crash Box was one of my great pleasures. I still drive my street car the way I was taught in my 3 day class 8 years ago.

OMG has it been that long? I STILL want one. Don't Crush em... Restore em
Old 10-23-2009

an update from us -
unfortunately, SB's insurance company won't approve angus yet
we're going to try again in the late winter / early spring and hopefully angus will have grown a little more. i think since he JUST turned 11, the insurance was skeptical.

i guess we can wait a little more. we'll spend the rest of the fall and winter racing ovals in his bandolero, and racing the florida winter tour in his karts. it could be worse
Old 10-25-2009
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Hello Angusdad,

I don't think there is any rush, I only started racing when I was 10 and did six years of karting before I did my three day school and continued karting throughout that year and was only racing in SB later that year. About the school cars, I liked learning about it the H-Pattern gearbox, you learn a lot about the fundamentals and once you master the H-Pattern the sequential is no problem. And you never know when Angus will have the opportunity to drive a koni car or any stock car, it could come in handy. The f2000 cars are still H-Pattern as well and that would be a possible stepping stone for Angus too.

RT
"These things bring you to reality as to how fragile you are; at the same moment you are doing something that nobody else is able to do. The same moment that you are seen as the best, the fastest and somebody that cannot be touched, you are enormously fragile. Because in a split second, it's gone. These two extremes are feelings that you don't get every day. These are all things which contribute to knowing yourself deeper and deeper. These are the things that keep me going." -A. Senna

Tags
3-day school

Bookmark This Thread