Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 03-19-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Calling all old guys.

According to Larry Revere and others, my age has finally caught up with my looks!

At 40, I now qualify for the Master's Series. 3 of my 4 Skippy races this year will be with the Master's National's. Based on my experience in Laguna, if budget, and/or scheduling allowed, I would do the whole series.

First of all, this group is as close as any group of guys I've ever seen. The interaction among them on and off the track is fantastic. And, they welcomed this newbie as if I have been part of the group forever.

Second, they seem to hold some sway within the Skippy world. Without going into details, in this democracy, some groups are evidently created slightly more equal!

The racing was INTENSE. I never had such close battles before. These guys play for keeps. They push hard. They intimidate. But, they are predictable and fair. There was a LOT of passing in both of my races. I passed or got passed going into or coming out of EVERY turn at Laguna in my 2 races. 3 wide at turn 1... 2 wide all the way thru turn 2... 2 wide in turn 8... 2 wide in turn 11. Wheel to wheel contact (which doesn't require a safety check) at least twice! In situations where a Regional driver clearly would have backed off and surrendered a pass, these guys push harder. They try to get closer to you to see who really owns the corner. It gets the blood flowing!

Going into the weekend, I worried I might not be fast enough for this group. That I'd run at the back of the pack. Indeed, at the beginning of the weekend, my fears came true. I was 2.5 secs off the pace. Eek. As the weekend wore on, something wore off on me and I got quicker. In one race, my quick lap was only 2/10 slower than Wilcox (easily one of the fastest guys out there). 7 or 8 of us turned "best lap times" within 1/2 second of each other. Was it me or the company? I don't know or care. I learned a lot, and went quicker in the process.

If you are old enough, and want to learn to race hard and fast... sign up for a Master's National race. Trust me, you'll thank me for the recomendation!
Old 03-20-2005
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Re: Calling all old guys.

Having run the last half of the NM 2004 season and with plans to run the whole NM 2005 season I agree totally. I also had contact twice in Laguna ( a coincidence Mike?) and although not my best result, a thoroughly enjoyable weekend. It was great to have Mike step up to the plate with us "old guys" and I know that there are several more eligable and capable of running with us. HAMMER? I understand the count is light for Round 3 of the NM, Daytona 4/1-4/3, come on down and check it out.
Old 03-20-2005
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Talking about old guys, congratulations to John Pew, Mark Patterson and Phil Saville of Team Velocity who really starred in the Star Mazda race at Sebring Friday.

Since SBR was there just a month ago, you'll remember great lap times in the 2:28s. Their best, 2:03.2. John started 30th, finished 15th and now leads the Masters Series. Mark started 27th and finished 17 with Phil moving up to 22nd from 26th on the starting grid. 42 starters, all hot dogs, so what a great performance.

Other notable SBR racer results: Raphael Matos won, Matt Jaskol was second, Robbie Pecorani 6th, Jonathan Klein 9th, Micky Gilbers 12th, Marco Andretti 19th, Robbie Montinaldo 31st and Brian Sellers 41st. Bet I missed some too.

Impressive.
Old 03-20-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Way to go gents!

John and Mark can keep the timesheets as trophies... "Here is the day I beat Marco!"
Old 03-20-2005

I bet it won't be the last time!
Old 03-21-2005
Hey ya'll, watch this
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 6

Just an update on the Mazda race in Sebring... I was hanging out with Matt Jaskol and his FBMW teammate from last year (friend of mine, and girlfriend of Matt's), Alexis Fenton this past weekend while in Sebring. We watched the race from the turn 3,4,5 section of the track and I got some good pictures of Matt, John Pew, Marco and a few others that I will post as soon as I resize them and crop them down (just learning how to use a REAL camera...).

Anyhow, my point was that at dinner after the Mazda race that day Matt walked into one of the local Sebring watering holes to find some fellow Mazda racers congratulating him on his WIN! To his confustion, apparently Rafael Matos was penalized for jumping the start and Matt was awarded P1 points! Congratulations to him, and best of luck on the rest of the season.
Old 03-21-2005
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

Jon, are you sure about that? The starmazda site says nothing about it. Here are the official results:

http://www.starmazda.com/results/200...20Results.html
Old 03-21-2005

Jon,

How can the pole jump the start?

John
Old 03-22-2005
Hey ya'll, watch this

Hmm... I was just going by what Matt told me. If it was a joke, it's a pretty cruel one, because he was still sure that he had been awarded P1 points as of last night when I last talked to him.

The only thing I can think is that Matos took off and created too big a gap before the green. Watching from where we were, we could see the exit of turn 1 through turn 5, and Matos came through 1 with a decent gap on Matt and Graham Rahal. I don't know for sure what went on, was just reporting what I heard.
Old 03-23-2005
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Jonathan,

I just checked with the owner/crew chief of Raphael's team (Ocean Tomo). Yes, someone did protest, and yes, the series was going to dock points but let him keep the win, but after the team showed them their own rule book, Rafa was within the rules and keeps his win and points, no penalty.

Everybody knows you can't jump the start from Pole anyway, so long as most of the field is out of the last corner and the Pace Car is gone.

Cheers.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 03-23-2005
Hey ya'll, watch this

Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing things up, Gerardo and congrats on the sweep at Sebring!
Old 03-23-2005
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

The pole sitter sets the pace. He is allowed to accelerate after the pace car leaves as long as he keeps accelerating AND does not reduce speed. Raffa did nothing wrong, but out smart them.
Old 03-23-2005
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Two, I was at the drivers meeting and that's exactly what they said about starting procedures

Bookmark This Thread