Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 02-28-2012
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

New Member, A few Questions

Hi I'm Sam. I've been into racing ever since I was little. Particularly the open wheel series'. I've been karting for a few years too, and love it. I found this website in my search for a means to start my driving career. I also like cars and like to learn about what makes them tick. I currently work at a Dodge dealership in Wisconsin as a detailer. I like it as I am around cars and mechanics all the time.

I've come on here with a few questions. I have looked over the Sip Barber website and I see all sorts of different programs with different cars and time frames. Which one should I enter in order to start a career?
Old 02-28-2012
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: New Member, A few Questions

Welcome Sam,

If you're partial to open wheel racing then there's no better place to start than a 3 day racing school. A 3-day school is open wheel basic training for racers the way ballet is mandatory basic training for most forms of dance. No matter what kind of racing you do down the road the open wheel 3 day will give you the maximum in experience and education in car control and situational awareness. The MX-5's are good but the open wheel cars being purpose built race cars with no compromise for comfort or street use give you the most direct feedback telling you instantly when you're doing things right or wrong. It can be both humbling and inspiring.

After your 3-day, assuming all goes well, you'll want to look at the 2 day advanced racing school that offers more wheel to wheel seat time with instructors and other racers to put you in the right frame of mind for open wheel competition.

My advice would be to set a savings goal for your 3-day and 2-day racing schools while keeping an eye out for discounts especially in the fall when they generally offer holiday discount gift certificates early in the holiday season.

The high performance driving school teaches car control and is fun but the racing schools are where you want to be if your goal is to be a racer. An advanced car control clinic is a good thing after you've had your 3 day to sharpen skills. I suggest it after your 3 day as you'll get more value taking what you learn in the 3 day to the CC clinic.

You'll also want to look into the Skip Barber karting scholarship shootout. Don't know the schedule this year but if your good in a kart you'd put your racing school to good and profitable use against some tough competition.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do!

Pat
Old 02-29-2012
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

As usual, Pat is spot on. I would only add having rich parents and starting at 5 years old in karts with talent on loan from God.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 02-29-2012
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
As usual, Pat is spot on. I would only add having rich parents and starting at 5 years old in karts with talent on loan from God.
Gee. I've never quoted myself before (in print, anyway).
The above advice was for your career goals. If you want to enjoy cars and racing at whatever level your skills bring you, then jump in with both feet, find out what trips your trigger and just plain enjoy. Even us old and slow guys have a ball racing other old and slow guys.
Hey. You have any ancestors who played guitar?
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 03-01-2012
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
My advice would be to set a savings goal for your 3-day and 2-day racing schools while keeping an eye out for discounts especially in the fall when they generally offer holiday discount gift certificates early in the holiday season.
I have always said "marry a cardiologist" to finance your racing activities. Harsha says no cardiologist is that generous with his/her spouse, but I am not so cynical.
Old 03-01-2012
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso View Post
I have always said "marry a cardiologist" to finance your racing activities. Harsha says no cardiologist is that generous with his/her spouse, but I am not so cynical.
I can hear in your post the frustration of a man parted from his favorite one-liner by a cynical Grinch bent on stealing all the fun from life. I know, I know, had you only married a cardiologist you would have had the Borg-Warner trophy on your own mantle. But for true love, you would be doing "Got Milk" commercials. It's okay, we all understand.
Old 03-01-2012
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
I can hear in your post the frustration of a man parted from his favorite one-liner by a cynical Grinch bent on stealing all the fun from life. I know, I know, had you only married a cardiologist you would have had the Borg-Warner trophy on your own mantle. But for true love, you would be doing "Got Milk" commercials. It's okay, we all understand.
He doth know me. Alas, I must be satisfied with a spouse who grew up (but never grew any taller) and became managing partner of one of the largest accounting firms in the state. I am also fortunate that she is also female.

Bookmark This Thread