Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Site Announcements, Support & Help > Site Announcements & Support

Old 09-24-2004
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
New Subforums - "Collections of Best Older Threads"

I've started to make subforums with the best older threads in them for the convenience of new users. There are several ways to do this, and I'd like to know what you think would be the best way:

1. Make 'read-only' copies of the threads and put them into the new forum. That's the way the first sub-forum is now. The disadvantage to this is that if someone wanted to reply to one of these threads, then they'd have to find the old thread in the main forum. I could put links to the old threads inside the new 'read-only' copies though. But that's extra work...

2. Move the old thread completely into the new sub-forum and make it read only. Preserves the old thread the way it was. Forever...

3. Move the old thread completely into the new sub-forum and make it read/write. Easy access to view AND reply to the old threads.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

S
Old 09-26-2004
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112
Re: New Subforums - "Collections of Best Older Threads"

With no research to back me up, I'd guess that once most threads haven't been posted to for a month or two they are pretty much gone and forgotten except for review purposes. So "read only" should get the job done. I suppose if there were compelling reasons to reactivate an old thread you could, but I doubt you'd need to.
Old 09-26-2004
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

why would you limit someones ability to respond?
Old 09-27-2004
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
why would you limit someones ability to respond?
I wouldn't.

You could re-activate the topic with a new thread anytime. Sy's suggestion to have a link to the original thread is good, but a thread that hasn't been active for two months isn't showing up on anyone's screen anyway. The idea isn't to limit response, its housekeeping to manage interesting threads that deserve to be archived for easy review.

How about a button on archived threads that says "Reactivate this thread?" Some threads will warrant reactivation from time to time and others may be special or unique enough to deserve intact preservation.

It's just housekeeping.
Old 09-28-2004
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
I wouldn't.

You could re-activate the topic with a new thread anytime. Sy's suggestion to have a link to the original thread is good, but a thread that hasn't been active for two months isn't showing up on anyone's screen anyway. The idea isn't to limit response, its housekeeping to manage interesting threads that deserve to be archived for easy review.

How about a button on archived threads that says "Reactivate this thread?" Some threads will warrant reactivation from time to time and others may be special or unique enough to deserve intact preservation.

It's just housekeeping.
I can't put a 're-activate' button in. But this discussion is good, in that it makes me think that instead of putting read-only 'copies' of those threads in the special forum, I should just move the originals in there, and let them be open to replies. I can always simply move them back into their old parent forums if I wanted to. The only negative to this is that it opens up these 'classical' threads to change, which may be a good thing or a bad thing. I guess I could always delete the new posts if they're not additive.

Pat & Mike, new votes please on if this is a good or bad idea. If you have a better one, then I don't want to hear it. JK.
Old 09-28-2004
Thumb-alina

you know me... I hate to limit speech! shit, I'm getting liberal in my old age!

let people respond! if these were so good... let them come back to life.

as for a new idea... can we put them in a separate forum... ie not at the top of another forum... that confuses my aging brain!
Old 09-28-2004
Grand Master

I agree with Michael and also think from a practical standpoint simpler is better.

Me thinks we are probably micro-managing too much. Leave them open to continued posts and organize them as simply as possible. House cleaning or re-organizing once in a while may be required.

My final mind numbing, over thinking, work creating idea would be to lift the brief portions of threads that really tickle you (us) and throw them into a "Juicy Classics" read only forum for new members and those of us with both short attention span and short term memory issues.

Whatever you do will be fine Sy. Thanks for caring enough to ask.
Old 09-28-2004
Thumb-alina

Juicy Classics is a great name. Just make that a category (ala F1 or Skippy series). Move the threads there and leave them as read or write!
Old 09-29-2004
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
Juicy Classics is a great name. Just make that a category (ala F1 or Skippy series). Move the threads there and leave them as read or write!
Voila! Michael has cleared away the clutter and quieted the noise once again.

Starsky sez: "Do it... Do it."

Hey Sy and Michael, (I'm assuming "Co-Founder" relates to this site...)

I was struck by a renewed sense of gratitude this morning for this virtual clubhouse you've built. Its a modern day (and occasionally enlightened) version of the "Racoon Lodge" that Norton and Ralph cherished in their televised working mans utopia. A virtual environment of respect, support, dissent, discussion, irreverent comedy and connection for members that can be hard to come by in a modern world where technical communication is easy, but a real sense of community rare.

The synergy of the HANS discussion, Peter's "Dear Skip Barber" thread, Dougs wonderful videos and reverse LRP map etc., the celebration of mahem and joy at the Glen, along with all the other smart and silly ways this site allows members to bring up and work out issues while celebrating their passion for life, racing and each other, is a really special thing and the best possible use of this technology. (OOhhh! May have just aced best run-on sentance of the week... Yessss!!)

It's not as much fun as being in the race car, but its an inviting opportunity for staying connected and celebrating each other in between. Bravo!

Last edited by dalyduo; 09-29-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2004
Thumb-alina

Racoon Lodge

Never thought of it that way, but I like it. Thanks for the kind words.

What you described is exactly what Sy and I hoped to achieve when we started this site. It's just that we expected it to reach an audience of 10 people!

Looks like we hit a nerve!
Old 09-30-2004
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
I was struck by a renewed sense of gratitude this morning for this virtual clubhouse you've built. Its a modern day (and occasionally enlightened) version of the "Racoon Lodge" that Norton and Ralph cherished in their televised working mans utopia. A virtual environment of respect, support, dissent, discussion, irreverent comedy and connection for members that can be hard to come by in a modern world where technical communication is easy, but a real sense of community rare.
and away we gooooo!

The Racoon Lodge Marching Song

In the west and in the east

There's a mighty little beast
For courage there is no other.
When the chips are all at stake
The Racoon will never break
We are proud to call him brother.
So with our noble tails entwined
And a spirit strong of mind
We'll have hearts that cannot melt.
In the forest, in the trees
On the land or seven seas
We're brothers under the pelt.
Racoons, the noble Racoons.

and check out the name of this site for Honeymooner fans

Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	raccoonstjr2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	68  

Last edited by cdh; 12-04-2004 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-30-2004
Thumb-alina

Hey Ralphie boy....

I love the new portrait! Maybe that should replace the Leslie pic on the home page? Not!!

Bookmark This Thread